Fly spray

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you found a good fly spray? Do you make up your own? I have made some with Apple cider vinegar and essentials oils but wondering if you can recommend any other spray. I would prefer more natural than chemical but interested in any suggestions. Thanks

What about the "feed through fly control"? Does anyone use this and does it work?

I've used it, and found it quite effective! Only thing is I don't remember the brand I used, but not only was it good for flies, but it had other things in it that were beneficial for other problems... like the respiratory tract... It was a bit expensive, so I stopped it, but I've seen some other ones that were better for the price, and I heard good comments about them.

I honestly think the feed through fly control is more effective than sprays... but that's just my personal opinion.

I haven’t tried the feed through system. I was worried that if my neighbors didn’t fed it to her horses, then it wouldn’t make much difference even if I fed to mine. IDK🤔

I use Bronco fly spray, it’s cheap and I like the way it smells. I also put out about 4 or so fly traps in my barn and those things are AMAZING!! I think the fly traps make such a HUGE difference! Here is a pic of the ones I use:

9F8FE539-0392-45AC-AD41-AA8620842B22.jpeg

I have tried “Country Vet: Flying Insect Kill System” from TSC and all I can say is DON’T waste your money on those. I found those not effective at all😝

I’ve been out on rides where I have forgotten my fly spray so I had to use OFF, and that worked amazing! I wouldn’t use it all the time or on a daily basis, but it does work and I would definitely give them a bath after using. I don’t know what it is about Off, but it keeps those big horse flies away!

Whatever you decide to go with, I totally recommend the fly traps!!! They are a little stinky and gross, but so worth it!!

In the morning I clean up all the manure from overnight in the dry lot. I tear a piece of fly paper off the roll and set it on top of the manure in the muck bucket face up. It is covered in flies by the afternoon and I fold it up and toss it. I catch tons of flies that way.

I do use masks and spray on the horses but catching all thoes flies keeps it really comfortable.

Thank you Willow Flats, Cayuse, Kelly, JFNM, & Dalvers63 for the information. I have some research to do . I like the fly trap idea . I used fly strips and they worked so, so.I never heard of the feed through product before until this year. Is it considered a chemical you are giving your horse?

I never heard of the feed through product before until this year. Is it considered a chemical you are giving your horse?

No, it's not a chemical, it's a supplement made from natural sources like dried garlic flour (which is non toxic compared to fresh garlic), thiamine b-1 and grapeseed flour. I remembered the name of the brand: Barrier from Strictly Equine. But again, there are many other brands.

Only thing with the feed through is you need to start your horses on it about two months before fly season if you want them to developp a natural defense against flies.

BTW, I like to used both the feed through and fly traps together in my anti-fly protocol because I don't like having flies and mosquitos flying around me, so I make sure the barn stays fly-free so I can enjoy grooming my horses in peace, and the horses have a natural defense when they are outdoors (because of the feed through).

Last edited:
What about the "feed through fly control"? Does anyone use this and does it work?

A few years ago when I was at a boarding barn, I tried a feed through from SmartPak (don't remember the name). It had vinegar and garlic in it. Smelled like salad dressing. I think the ideas was to make flies not want to bite my horse. Eventually she wouldn't eat it any more.

Now that the horses are at my house I use Simpli-Fly and have had good results. There is a chemical in it that prevents flies from reproducing, while not harming the horses. Just re-ordered a big 10lb container from Chewy.com

Fly predators can also work well as not as you don't have chickens.

Manure management is also very important. Taking the poop away and spreading/composting it. Of course you can't always control your neighbors and surroundings.

In the morning I clean up all the manure from overnight in the dry lot.

Manure management is also very important. Taking the poop away and spreading/composting it. Of course you can't always control your neighbors and surroundings.

Oh yes, manure management really makes a big difference. I keep my big manure pile away from the barn and paddocks. I do have a smaller pile not too far though, but once in awhile we load it in the tractor loader and bring it to the bigger "mountain" of compost. I find having a smaller pile is easier to manage and cover so the flies don't have much access to it.

Very important to keep paddocks and dry lots free from manure and hay, because wet hay attracts flies as well.

Last edited:
I clean their stall and turn out area morning and night. I keep it in a cover trash bin that is picked up once a week.
I appreciate the information . It is good to know the feed through fly control works. Thanks all

Don't forget mosquitoes, if you live somewhere that has them, too.

If you have any areas that get standing water, get mosquito dunks or granules as well. I bought a big jug, and still have most of it left almost a year later. Just sprinkle some in the standing water you can't empty or get rid of, and it'll keep the mosquitoes from breeding on your property as much. 👍

Just like with manure management being a first line defense against flies, making sure you have as few areas of standing/stagnant water as possible is the first line of defense against mosquitoes. Depending on where you're located, the mosquitoes could be infected with West Nile virus, or carry equine encephalitis, I believe? It depends on where you live what they tend to carry and spread. It's probably best to minimize them, no matter what they carry in your area, though.

Good luck with your fly management program, and I hope you have a fairly fly free summer! 😊

Latest posts

Back