Fly Spray Systems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
Does anyone know of another concentrate that can be put into the fly spray systems OTHER THAN Pyranha? Its just so darn expensive! I need a gallon concentrate for a 55 gallon drum.

I don't know of anything else except some homeade recipes from Dressage Magazine. Using Bug zappers, garlic, tea tree oil, citronella oil, etc. ?????

I just use the "Country Vet" individual sprayers. We have used them in the house, in our rabbits and in the horses. I would use caution in using anything not designed for livestock. I had a top bred Standard bred mare back when a 2 minute mile was rare and as a trainer she easily did a 2 min. mile. After she was retired (due to a leg issue) I took her to a stud farm and had her bred. The deal they were giving me was they get the first foal and I got the second and I paid no mare care or vet costs. Well after she was confirmed in foal I took her to a ridding stable I kept all of my horses at. She had a particular fly problem. They were cutting costs so instead of a stable spray they used a lawn spray. She aborted and never got in foal again. Have you tried fly predators? We ended up with some from another farm last year and had almost no flies.

If anyone has any personal experience with they fly predators, I would like to hear about it. They are no being heavily campaigned in magazines. It seemed that vet on that chat didn't know too much about them, but a lot about other products.

I've used fly predators and didn't see much of a difference. which is why I bought the barn system (you can't use a premise spray with the predators because the spray kills the predators). I have enough horses that those wimpy battery operated sprayers don't even make a dent. I just don't want to pay $250 for the concentrate! But I guess if it works and lasts 6 months I would have spent that on other multiple fly control attempts!

Carin, if you find out about any other product besides the Pyranha for the 55 gal system, let me know.
default_smile.png
I love my system, but yes, the refill is pricey!
default_sad.png
However, it's the best thing I've used for flies in the barn. Fortunately here, I don't have to start mine until sometime in May and one fill will take me through the fly season.

Can you give me the link to the barn system???

Carin, if you find out about any other product besides the Pyranha for the 55 gal system, let me know.
default_smile.png
I love my system, but yes, the refill is pricey!
default_sad.png
However, it's the best thing I've used for flies in the barn. Fortunately here, I don't have to start mine until sometime in May and one fill will take me through the fly season.
thanks Becky! One of the things I'm worried about is my barn is OPEN. I'm wondering if I should hang the nozzles ABOVE the rafters to keep the mist from blowing out of the barn. I noticed this morning that the flys seem to hang out up there at night. Right now, I have the hung under the rafters.

My nozzles are hung at ceiling level, but the spray will still drift out the windows.....although it kills flies hanging around outside the barn too. Every morning I have to scoop dead flies out of the outside stock tanks. The only good fly is a DEAD fly!
default_yes.gif

Frank spent big $ on the fly predators for 2 years. Never could tell it did any good. I think you would need to be pretty isolated yourself for them to work well and we have cattle accross the street.

One fill of Pyranah lasts us a season and is WELL worth it to me!

Charlotte

p.s. also keeps those dastardly red wasps from making a home in my barn!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back