Fly spray mare with new foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

Ginny gave birth to a little filly paint one week ago, what do the rest of you use for fly spray for a mare with a nursing foal. I will need to do something, just not sure what? Thanks.

Val

I think Absorbine makes a fly spray in a green sprayer that can be used on foals. Most are not supposed to be used on foals but that one says it is OK.

Flies do not like to land on oil so put some mineral oil mixed with a little listerine to dilute it and spray it on the foal.

I have even taken straight mineral oil and put it on a rag and rubbed their legs and back with oil. Works on humans too...........rub your legs or arms with baby oil or bath oil and then when you take a bath your skin will be smooth.

I can personally recommend the Listerine and Baby oil mix..I am using it on my 18 year old boy that has always hated the summer because of the flies and midges..they drive the poor boy mad but so far so good
default_thumbup.gif
..the midges were out in full force tonight and he wasn't the slightest bit botherd (usually he would be going crazy scratching.. tail swishing and kicking at his belly)..I spray him all over brush it through his coat then spay him again just for good measure..Im sure it would be completely safe for foals plus you get a pony that smells like fresh breath
default_wub.png

Awesome, I have that mix already in my cupboard in the barn, I was using it for dry skin, ect. I will give it a try! We have horse flies here, sand flies and the little black knats are just starting to come out, they drive me nuts, I should try it on me!! LOL

Haha ..I love to sit out and enjoy the summer evenings here but living on the edge of the forest we have so many midges and horse flies too they eat you alive..I will deff be using it on myself this year..
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back