Fly mask

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm asking for recommendations where to buy fly face masks for minis? I'm having a hard time finding mini size. Do you have a favorite?
Thank you
Mari

Cashel with a little tweaking. I do forget what size, weanling or foal, but I remember measuring and going by their chart. I get the ones without the nose piece. I do take a small tuck in the material at the poll area(from ear to ear) to shorten it up slightly and then they fit perfect with no shifting and plenty of room for the eyes. I've bought tough-one brand and they fit poorly and Star Lake Tack ones are made nice but they shift too much and they don't have enough space for my horses with wide set eyes (broad heads).

I have a couple of Kensington fly mask that fit a some of my boys pretty good. The tough-one brand, I think it a foal or weanling size, fits tiny Thunder ok, not perfect but it’ll do for now.

I just recently bought 4 MATCHING new ones for my little boys and of course none of them fit. They are all waaaay too big, even for my biggest mini Shadow. So I will have to get out the sewing machine and butcher them all up. I guess that old saying is true: you get what you pay for 🤣🤣

I've just started using the pony size lycra fly masks. They need a bit of a tuck at the bottom of the nose and at the top of the head but are great.

This has become my go-to mask. Great fit, UV protection, and the company is super to work with. I got a new one for Dapper Dan this year and the velcro strap wasn't quite long enough. They sent me a piece designed to lengthen it. I've had them for 3 years. Midnight has stomped on hers a few times, but it always comes back to shape. Both horses wear them happily all day. They do not come with ears, but can come with nose shields.
https://www.equinesunvisor.com/

I have Kensington mini size and they work well.

I tried one Cashel but it was too big (nose cover hung down past the lip). I removed the nose cover and the fit was still unacceptable.

This year I purchased a couple of masks from MagesTreasure Chest on Etsy and they are really well made. They adjust at the poll and under the chin so they fit really well.

Thank you all for the info. I will check them all out. The ones I have are a bit big. I never thought of doing a sewing adjustment. If I need to I can try that on a new mask. Thanks for that input and all the suggestions. Greatly appreciated . :)

I'm still researching fly masks. For those who use or have used lycra fly masks, are they breathable? I live in the desert and wonder if they would have them sweating in the heat. Your thoughts?

I tried one and was it WAS hot, but the bigger problem was with the mesh. One the one I purchased, the mesh was very fine and pliable with no "body" to it and it drooped into their eyes. If I had used it I'm pretty sure I would've had some eye issues from it.

I tried one and was it WAS hot, but the bigger problem was with the mesh. One the one I purchased, the mesh was very fine and pliable with no "body" to it and it drooped into their eyes. If I had used it I'm pretty sure I would've had some eye issues from it.
Thank you

I've found the opposite of Cayuse. They haven't been hot under them, kind of like wearing yoga pants, and when they rub the mesh has never poked into their eyes like the stiffer mesh has. I give it a tug when I put them on to poof them and they're good for the day. It probably depends on the brand?

Latest posts

Back