Fly issue - need help for Spot.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
The last couple years, Spot has been having some severe issues with the flies and gnats. They bite in his ears, under his forelock, and his chest till he's bloody and raw. The vet said he's having an allergic reaction from the bites. Everyday I slather on this medicated lotion on the inside of his ears, to help heal the sores, and rub them down with fly spray. It doesn't work, it's only putting a bandaid on the problem, and I'm really concerned about all of this chemical stuff I'm putting inside his ears the most.

I've tried fly masks with ears on him, but nothing stays on that I've tried. I'm wondering if anyone has a particular brand that will fit a B mini, that actually stays on, and fits. Also, if anyone has gone through this, and has other helpful suggestions, please let me know. Fly sprays just don't seem to help.

Thank you!

I really love Cashel's mini fly masks with ears. We use the long nose ones on those with white noses to help reduce sunburn. I seldom have had a problem with them coming off. I've found them in some tack stores but more reliably at Ozark Mountain: http://www.minitack.com/flypro.htm

I also use a tiny bit of the product "Swat" (Farnham's, I think) inside my horses' ears, and more along their belly midline, genital area, etc., and have never had a problem with it being too many chemicals. It does a great job keeping the biting gnats and flies away from these sensitive areas and has healing properties, too.

Best of luck to you on your battle with the bugs! I know you'll get other great advice here, too.

We produce children’s videos with our miniature horses and were having a real challenge keeping the fly numbers down. As you can imagine it’s not a good thing when you are filming, everything is going perfect and then a fly lands on the face of one of the characters. We tried Spalding’s Fly Predators https://www.spalding-labs.com/ each year we buy the specified amount for our number of horses, this along with collecting all of the dropping each day has drastically reduced the amount of flies around our barn. It has worked so well that quite often we do not see flies until late summer. Good luck

Geri,

I think what you're describing is sweet itch. My older mare has it, and it is miserable. It is an allergy or "over reaction" by the horse's immune system to gnats, no-seeums, midges, whatever you may call them in your locale. It is common in shetlands and other breeds like Icelandics that genetically have not been exposed over the years to these types of insects.

Here's the bad news....no cure. However, management can go a long way. Keep you pony in during dawn and dusk hours, these are the worst times. Keep them covered with a fly sheet, check out Boett http://www.boettusa.com/, these rugs really work. ( I actually have one that my mare outgrew, PM me if you would be interested because they are wicked expensive. I have no use for it and would let it go cheap). Try to keep the horse's midline belly covered, this is where the worst bites occur. However, this becomes a systemic reaction, so the horse will be itchy all over. Place a strong fan in the barn/stall/run-in. The little beggers are not very strong. Buffer the immune system. There are several good products and supplements out there. Try slathering midline and other bite areas with a thick, greasy product. They cannot bite through this and will avoid those areas covered.

My vet will not use steroids due to my Shetland being of the "native" body type, meaning she's a stocky, easy keeper, and he fears founder issues. He did mention a drug this spring that he would be willing to try if she gets particularly bad, but I can't remember the name of it. Talk to your vet. Google Sweet Itch, there's a wealth of information out there.

Really the best advice is to cover the horse from head to toe for the worst of the midge season, which depending on where you are, is about now to a month from now. My mare is doing well this year so far, but she's is covered constantly, fans are on, and she's put in during the worst times of day. Fly spray is designed mostly for stable flies and the like, and the midges are rarely affected by it. Plain old Vaseline makes a better barrier, and mix some Swat in with it, at least when gnats are concerned, for a layer in the ears and the belly. It makes for a greasy critter, but it works. Good luck! It really is the pits...

Oil of Thuja Ointment

http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4396&SEName=thuja-zinc-oxide-ointment-16oz

I have had very good luck with this product for many years now. It used to be called Pink Ointment. It is a thick ointment that does not rub off easily and is very strongly scented. I can't think of what it smells like but insects don't like it and the scent lasts many hours.

I wouldn't apply it to areas of raw skin or raw sores, but rather around those areas. I first started using it around wounds to repel insects. Now I use it for horses such as you describe.

I agree with what others have said that trying to control exposure to those insects is a must also.

Good luck with your guy.

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to try the fly mask from Ozark, will be calling in the order after I finish this. Haven't tried that one, so I'm hoping it works. Re: the fly predators, they just would not work in our area, we are surounded by Amish farms, and I don't think it would do any good.

I kind of figured this was going to be something that was a long term deal, I was prepared. He's worth it. For the little bit of inconvenience on my part, it's no biggie, but I really hate that he is miserable. It's worst in the ears, the forelock, and chest are minimal compared to the ears. The ears are where they eat him raw. It doesn't seem to be an issue on his underbelly, but I will keep an eye on that again this summer. Last year it wasn't. I'll wait on the sheet to see what happens. We get really hot and humid here, and I'm not to sure I want to keep a sheet on him when it's like that. Thank you so much for the offer though, I do greatly appreciate it.

I think I'm going to also try the vaseline, and swat, see if that works better. Can I use that on his chest and forelock area as well? Also, anyone have a good recommendation for immune boosting supplements for horses?

Thank you again, I really appreciate the ideas!!

I have two grey arabs and a grey dwarf, don't know why but the no see ums, knats and flies love the light colored horses, I've tried all the sprays, they don't last, swat works great when applied in the morning to the affected areas, chest, belly and legs, plus ears. For our dwarf I've accually had to apply swat to her little legs then wrap loosly with vet wrap, then apply more swat to the wrap, as she can't reach the bottom of her legs to chase them away. I need to replace every third day or so. Our 30 yr. old gelding gets the same treatment, as the flies really attack his legs. I can keep the arabs in during the day under fans, but not the dwarf. It seems like an neverending battle sometimes.

I have two horses with allergies. I bought Spirulina Wafers from Springtime Products. One horse refuses to eat them... the other seems to have no more skin allergies.

If you google search "spirulina for horse bug allergies" I believe Springtime is the first result. I have heard some claim that it also boosts immunity but not sure about that. Anyway it did work for one of two of mine. Also I know they sell garlic supplements but have no idea if that works or not. Maybe others can give you their opinion on that?? Good Luck

Geri,

I was having trouble remembering the mixture I used to coat my mares problem areas. It was on the advice of a vet. Bag Balm, Swat, and Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Mix it up, it makes a lovely paste, soothes skin, and repels additional flies. Worked really well. Also, I am using Spirulina and Bee Pollen from Springtime Inc, both seem to have helped the allergic response immensely. I also feed a quality vitamin/mineral supplement. Try to avoid sweet feed too, not sure if that's a myth, but its generally not good for them anyway.

I also had concerns about covering my mare from head to toe in hot weather. According to the Boett folks, the blanket actually repels the sun and cools the horse, and I have found that to be true. However, I live in a fairly cool place. I alternate between a regular fly sheet and mask and the Boett blanket, depending on the temperature and bug population.

There are mixed reviews on garlic for horses. Because my mare is prone to colic and ulcers, I have avoided garlic. There are a lot of people out there that swear by it though.

Another thought.....my mare is also Insulin Resistant, and there appears to be some evidence, although maybe just anecdotal, that this issue causes lowered resistance to bugs and infection. Consider this if your guy is cresty, puts weight on easily, has ever foundered, or sheds out late/not at all. Just an added piece of the puzzle. Making dietary changes and lots of exercise have also helped my mare.

Yes, that fly mask from Ozark is a good one. Stays on and lasts.

SWAT also worked for me to heal ears.

Covering with a sheet helps, and also out of the sun. I did not have a real fly sheet so I tied a cotton bed sheet on mine.

IMO do not waste your time and money on skin scrapes and allergy tests. Tried the steroids, but they only gave moderate relief for a few days.

Someone told me she had good luck with acupuncture and hormones. I no longer have the horse with the problem, or I would try that.

I have a great mixture that worked beautifully on my mini mare that I learned about from Dr. Eleanor Kellon. Fly sprays and ingredients in things like swat do not affect the bugs that are bothering your horse. But, those bugs (midges, nosee ums, knats, etc.) are affected and particularly offended by campho-phenique, which is sold for humans in drugs stores. It's expensive, but you only need a quarter teaspoon for the mixture. What you mix is 1/4 tsp. campho-phenique, 1/4 tsp. calm coat, and a 13 oz. jar of petroleum jelly (vaseline). The petroleum jelly works as a barrier, the campho-phenique works as a barrier, repellent, anesthetic/disinfectant, and the calm coat works as a barrier, soother and repellent. Apply daily up to 3 times if needed, or whenever you see the horse itching. I only applied it once daily and it cleared up everything.

I would say don't bother with allergy shots, they are expensive and don't seem to work. At least for me.....

I hope this helps. If you decide to try it, let me know if it was as successful for you as it was for me.

Geri, lots of good suggestions here and I also think Shelterwood nailed it. My only advise would be to keep him inside under fans where the bugs won't get him and be sure to keep him out of the rain.

My friend in Florida had a horse that was so bad she sent him up here to me each summer so he would have some relief. He was one big bloody sore horse. It was terrible. He'd heal right up, I'd send him back, and the following summer, here he came again. This went on for a few years until she sold him to someone way up north by Canada.

My quarter horse also cannot stand any bugs biting on him at all. No sores or anything just bite bumps. In summer, its nearly impossible to get him to go outside for more than an hour or so. I have literally had to drag him out of his stall at times because he's not stupid and knows he is going to be chewed up out there. We have every bug spray known to man and he also has a variety of mesh coverings from head to hoof. But he gets out there and body slams and tears them up continually so he's usually inside under the fans about 22 hours or so for the season. His stall is huge, 20 foot, I keep him dry, and I keep fans running directly on him while he happily eats his hay all day and listens to rock and roll on the radio.

Latest posts

Back