FLY CONTROL

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
Hi All...Got a queston... My foaling barn is just loaded with flies!! No matter how clean I keep it, they just KEEP COMING BACK!! The feed store told me to use Seven Dust mixed in with their shavings? That didn't sound right to me. I am afraid to do that because I have a week old foal (Donte) in this barn, and a maiden mare that is at 324 days. I have used the Seven Dust in my full size horse gelding/stallion barn, and it does seems to help. Donte is going crazy with all the flies..What do you use to control these pesty pains in the horses you know what!

I love a product by Equus, it is a natural fly repellant with a sun screen. It smells great and I dont feel like I am putting acid on my babies.

Also I hang fly strips all over the place. 2 and 3 to a stall if necessary. They are cheap and I just throw them away when they get gross.

I dont think I care for the Sevin dust either and would not use it. Babies seem to get into everything and I would be afraid of having all that chemical in their bedding as well as on them.

HERE in TEXAS we have the biggest flies in the world. LOL

REally, though, the flies here are BAD BAD BAD not to mention mosquitoes and gnats and fireants.

We take a multi-faceted approach. Your're gonna need an online account with JEFFERS and a good credit limit on your fantastic plastic to buy the stuff I use and you'll have to KEEP IT COMING because you can't just do it once and stop if you want the flies to stay gone.

I have those metered dose fly sprayers over every stall. They cost about $35 apiece and the spray inside (which lasts 30 days) is $5.50 a can. They hang at the back of each and every stall.

At the front of the stalls we have the sticky "FLY STIK" 24" tubes from Farnam. THEY WORK WONDERS and its actually alot of fun to watch the flies get stuck in the glue, wiggle, squeal, and squirm until they die of starvation. These cost about $5 or 6 dollars each and can provide hours of fly torture entertainment.

Another fun pasttime is the QUIK STRIKE Fly abatement Strips. These large strips have poison in them and the fly lands on it, dances around in siezure like activity for about 5 seconds, keels over and dies before your blood thirsty eyes. Its loads of family fun, and QUITE EFFECTIVE. $15 for a pack of 2. And we have one for every 2 stalls on the railing in between the stalls. So far my barn cats have not died since I added these so I'm pretty sure they are safe. At first I thought "These were a waste of money" and I almost returned them. I thought they were a hoax. But I decided to open one and see if it worked. OH YES THEY WORK and each side can kill literally PILES of flies. You've never seen a pile of flies? Just buy some of the QUIK STRIKE strips and you'll see one.

Lastly, the most important measure of all....CLEAN THE STALLS TWICE A DAY. This does involve manual labor. Or you can enslave a child who wants to do something fun that weekend if you're as mean and overbearing as I am. This single most important aspect of fly control may involve taking away a teenager's car keys for a couple of days, or disconnecting the phone line and/or internet line. All in all, your efforts will pay off, as the flies will diminish, the horses will be happier, and the kids WILL get to talk to their friends and eventually go to the movies, when the stalls are clean.

Lauralee
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
LOL Jeffers should hire you as a saleswoman!

aktion033.gif
We use the fly tape system..it winds over all stalls twice..never touch the tape..just wind from One roll to the other..and its GREAT

A convenient insecticide-free fly control system utilizing narrow adhesive-coated strips of nylon-reinforced tape. The tape is loaded onto spools for easy mounting and take-up of full sections of tape. When a section is full, just wind out more fly tape. Mr. Sticky Fly Tape should be installed on ceilings – that’s where flies prefer to rest. Mr. Sticky traps up to 92 percent of available flies. Design your own fly control system.

sticky.gif

We also have 4 jugs of fly terminator hangng..these things stay full and the messy and smell YUCK..But they work!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.....I have the acct. with Jeffers, I'm going to go to their web site as soon as I finish this. The fly stick I can get at my local co-op, the quick strip I will also get from Jeffers. I clean the stalls, (the entire barn) 2-3x a day. I am a stay at home mini mom
biggrin.gif
so I clean, clean, clean...As far a children go..I have one, but he lives in Ft. Lauderdale is 30 yrs old, and I don't think he would take to me grounding him!!! Sooo I am on my own here, but my husband is great, ( a master carpenter), YIPIEE!! And he loves our little ones as much as I do. Sounds like this will work, Texas, I used to live in Hurst, Tx. Many moons ago... Loved it!!!!

Thanks for the help
aktion033.gif
Theresa

Lauralee said:
HERE in TEXAS we have the biggest flies in the world.  LOL
REally, though, the flies here are BAD BAD BAD not to mention mosquitoes and gnats and fireants.

We take a multi-faceted approach.  Your're gonna need an online account with JEFFERS and a good credit limit on your fantastic plastic to buy the stuff I use and you'll have to KEEP IT COMING because you can't just do it once and stop if you want the flies to stay gone.

I have those metered dose fly sprayers over every stall.  They cost about $35 apiece and the spray inside (which lasts 30 days) is $5.50 a can.  They hang at the back of each and every stall.

At the front of the stalls we have the sticky "FLY STIK" 24" tubes from Farnam.  THEY WORK WONDERS and its actually alot of fun to watch the flies get stuck in the glue, wiggle, squeal, and squirm until they die of starvation.  These cost about $5 or 6 dollars each and can provide hours of fly torture entertainment.

Another fun pasttime is the QUIK STRIKE Fly abatement Strips.  These large strips have poison in them and the fly lands on it, dances around in siezure like activity for about 5 seconds, keels over and dies before your blood thirsty eyes.  Its loads of family fun, and QUITE EFFECTIVE.  $15 for a pack of 2.  And we have one for every 2 stalls on the railing in between the stalls.  So far my barn cats have not died since I added these so I'm pretty sure they are safe.  At first I thought "These were a waste of money" and I almost returned them.  I thought they were a hoax.  But I decided to open one and see if it worked.  OH YES THEY WORK and each side can kill literally PILES of flies.  You've never seen a pile of flies?  Just buy some of the QUIK STRIKE strips and you'll see one.

Lastly, the most important measure of all....CLEAN THE STALLS TWICE A DAY.  This does involve manual labor.  Or you can enslave a child who wants to do something fun that weekend if you're as mean and overbearing as I am.  This single most important aspect of fly control may involve taking away a teenager's car keys for a couple of days, or disconnecting the phone line and/or internet line.  All in all, your efforts will pay off, as the flies will diminish, the horses will be happier, and the kids WILL get to talk to their friends and eventually go to the movies, when the stalls are clean.

429426[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back