Florida farm..Dennis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
Everybody down there okay?? Please check in if you in Dennis's path..
sad.gif
sad.gif

We are getting alot of rain but that's supposed to be all for us here but we are located in the center of the peninsula so not close to the West Coast like Robin C and some of the others on the Forum. Up in the Panhandle of Florida there are several farms that will probably get the brunt of the storm as well as possibly some of the folks in the lower parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. This is way too early for a storm of this size to be hitting... it's not a good sign for what to expect for the rest of the hurricane season.

Ginny Long

Well Ginny if you change your mind and feel you are getting too much rain, feel free to send BAD BAD up here to vegetate with me on the mountain anytime......
wink.gif

We've been getting rain and some wind, definitely more to come as our weather will go downhill. We're in the area of tropical wind gusts, but that is certainly better than what our friends in the panhandle will get. All my horses are in the barn with windows and doors closed.

Hope all stay safe as Florida gets hit once again.

Barbie

Right now we are fine you would never know anything is coming upon us except for the fact that there is NO GAS to be found we are one of the lucky ones located very close to Pensacola
new_shocked.gif

I have been tasked as a ride out team for the Fire Dept. so I will be stuck only a few miles off shore in Ft. Walton Beach. We have been told we will be here until Wednesday morning. Kim is at the farm taking care of last minute things but at least the horses will all have stalls to be in.

I have been told we are evacuating this fire station at noon and moving closer to the coast at noon I will send updates as long as we have a computer and power.

Wyoming is sounding pretty good about now LOL
biggrin.gif

Hahaha... Marty... you would not believe it but we moved horses around yesterday and we decided to put Bad Bad in with some bred mares so that he could get used to being a big boy. Well... one of the suckling colts who is only 4 months old kept beating up on Bad Bad so much that we had to take Bad Bad out for his own safety. How humilitating is that? The suckling colt is the same size as Bad Bad and totally overpowered him and had a much bigger attitude than poor Bad Bad. It was just too funny (and a little sad) to see him being chased by a 4 month old colt. We put him back with his two donkey jennys that he's been with for the last few months and he was so relieved. We thought he would be so happy to have his own little herd (two bred mares and two colts that aren't weaned yet). We figured the mares would keep him in line but we didn't expect him to be humiliated by a baby! So Bad Bad didn't have a good day yesterday.

Ginny Long

Dakotahmoon.... you stay safe in that mess! I do alot of work in Pensacola, Appalachicola and Tallahassee and I hate to see the area getting pounded again. This is nuts!

Ginny Long

Thanks! So far so good just waiting on our Evacuation but it is kind of silly to me that they would evacuate us closer to the shore line but I guess it comes with the Job. As I said I would continue with updates until I have no access to the computer but we are getting lightning warnings at this point just a little cloudy now.
smile.gif

Ok Raining pretty hard now at 12:40pm squawl I am sure but we are now evacuating to the coast area fire stations 4,5,6,7 are now closed and evacuated we will hang at firestations 1,2,3 I will be at 2 until further notice I will keep ya'll updated
yes.gif

Oh boy its 3:30 pm and looks like night here! Wind is whipping our huge oaks like they are nothing. We may lose power soon the way this is going! We are somewhat inland here in Bushnell but we are getting hit pretty hard now. Its scarey, reminds me of last year. Its flooding rain and our barn cams which are under roofs are being whipped around a lot! Poor horses, already had some with a dry cough from having rain every single day in june. They have stalls or run ins in every pasture but they get bored and dont want to spend hours huddled in under the roof so they just go out in the rain. We need to buy stock in some company that makes horsey cough medicine we are going through so much! I sure hope we dont have a bunch of hurricanes like last year again. Oh yes our best news is our insurance company is dropping us. Farm Bureau wont insure us anymore because we are a farm!!!! Go figure. Just what I need another hurricane season with no insurance!

hairicane said:
Oh yes our best news is our insurance company is dropping us. Farm Bureau wont insure us anymore because we are a farm!!!! Go figure. Just what I need another hurricane season with no  insurance!
420612[/snapback]

Oh my..all you guys stay safe..hopefully it's over with before you know it..

What about farm bureau..??? we have FARM bureau..hope they have no silly ideas..for crying out loud..look at their name..it's not townhouse bureau!!

We made it through our first band and I see another coming in soon to make landfall. Still sitting in an empty Fire Dept. and just got news we will be moving again tonight so I will most likely not have computer access. Soooooo....

Oh ya by the way we had and the key word being HAD Farm Bureau insurance too and also lost our policy I think Townhouse Bureau is a much better name for them
yes.gif

Please post with updates as long as you can safely! I am just one of hundreds (I'm sure) that are watching. You guys are all in our prayers!

MA

Hey you guys stay safe down there.

I hear that we are going to be under the gun from it by Sunday night and into Monday.

So Farm bureau treats everyone this way huh? Thought they were just picking on me. So who do u all use for insurance for small home farms? We have no paid help, no boarding, just a good # of minis and a few goats as far as livestock. The insurance doesnt cover any to our barns or sheds anyway we just want home insurance!!!!!!

hairicane said:
So Farm bureau treats everyone this way huh?  Thought they were just picking on me. So who do u all use for insurance for small home farms? We have no paid help, no boarding, just a good # of minis and a few goats as far as livestock. The insurance doesnt cover any to our barns or sheds anyway we just want home insurance!!!!!!
420703[/snapback]

Hmm..we use Farm bureau and have the house and both barns insured with them..
rolleyes.gif

Hmm..we use Farm bureau and have the house and both barns insured with them..
rolleyes.gif

420712[/snapback]

Well dont be surprised if u dont have insurance very much longer with them. They came back with a letter saying we had commercial operations of equine and canine breeding and sales. The only place they could have found that out is of our website and we are not commercial by any means. We keep most of what we breed in our showdogs and the horses. I see u have a website too. I didnt tell them we had one either so they must be going online checking!!!!!!!!!! What country are we in again?????

9:25 PM Still at the fire station we have been getting bands of rain pretty steady now wind gusts should be in the 50 mph range in a few hours. Tommorw morning we are packing our belongins and moving into a stronger building. Kim has been taking all of this so well she is still at the house and wants to wait to go across town to a safer home (with her parents) until the storm gets closer. This one is taking the exact path as Ivan and they are calling it to be stronger. We are about 45 miles east of Pensacola. Please say a prayer for Kim and our horses and other farm animals who will have to brave this out. Dakota our son is already at her parents and much safer. If you have never been through one of these it is not a good time... Not just a thunderstorm
no.gif

Hi Guys,

I'm posting for Kim Voyce - she's in Clearview, FL - she asks for your prayers. Here's her email to me and she asked me to post for her:

"Could you please post for me...tell them I'm stuck dealing with it all because Lonnie (being a fire fighter) is called to duty and cannot come home...so I really would appreciate their prayers and well wishes for this thing to somehow miraculously dissolve into nothingness...We stand to loose more from this storm than Ivan because it's closer (even if we were on the east side of Ivan too)...The idea of Tornados scares me beyond belief...and we (crestview) seem to get more than our share of tornados from ANY tropical storm...Last year with Ivan, the Doppler was tracking like 90 (and no I"m not exaggerating) tornadic cells at once ....yes at one time!!!!!!

We should have power until sometime tomorrow evening...but after we lose power(which we most definitely will), we lose water (we have a deep well) and we will lose contact with the world until our HEROS (the guys that come from all over with the power companies) come to rescue us....PRAY for us.

I'm not afraid of the storm...and I know that sounds silly...but I'm a native Floridian...it's one of those things we must deal with( and I love storms)....but I am scared spitless for my horses.... please pray that they all come through it unskathed...we (in this case, me and the mouse in my pocket) are making sure that they are absolutely as safe as is humanly possible.....I will post or email or call as soon as I am able to do so ok?"

Thank you!

Monette
saludando.gif

Hairicane,

You arent alone, Farm Bureau is dropping us too, Seems we are also a farm and have too many, quote "Dangerous Horses". how are these little horses condidered dangerous, Cows and farm machinery are more of a hazard, but they dont mind insuring them..... We now have to find new insurance... so, dont feel bad, We are right there with you, We were notified by phone a cople months ago.... I know of more mini farms in FL that are with them, and IM SURE, they are next in line to be given the boot.....maybe we need to all get together
torch.gif
new_argue.gif

We are NNE of panama city about 100 miles inland. Its 11pm here and we are getting hammered with heavy rains and strong storms, wind is starting to pick up now too, and they are saying we are supposed to see well above hurricane force winds here.. looks like this one is going to be alot worse than Ivan.. well, im beat, its been a long hectic week.... Everyone in the path, stay safe, I will try to check in as much as possible....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back