Florida farm..Dennis?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if anyone finds a good insurer please let us know. Since we have such dangerous horses and heaven forbid live in florida where the insurance companies might actually have to payout once in a while I guess we are not worthy of insurance.

All u in the panhandle Hang on , we will be thinking of u!!!!!

Farm Bureau dropped us when we had a claim like we could stop soft ball size hail, isnt that what insurance is for???? There should be a law against it. You have to have insurance but the insurance companies can drop you.

Hang on tight everyone, Im sure you will all come out ok!!! I love Florida, but dont know if I could handle the hurricanes.

Please stay safe everyone. I also love my Florida and my minis. We are trying to build a home but had to put it off last hurricane season as we got two direct hits and one other bad one and be darn if Ivan did not come back down and dump more rain on top of us. We also can not get insurance because we have minis. We were told to check with a small independent company. So far we could not start the house this year yet as we had non-stop rain and now the hurricanes started already this year. Tell Kim Voyce I will be keeping her in my Prayers and tell her to try hard to keep up the faith. My Joe and Knick were just born and had to be out in the storms even a direct hit with Ivan and Francis last year at the breeders. They were so tiny and I could not be with them so I held them close to my heart and God sent them safe to me and they are strong yearlings now. You bet I am scared to death of these monster storms. FLFlyingW

Well it's still 'ok'(that is relative
laugh.gif
) here. Every now and the we get a pretty good gust of wind, and there's a light rain. I got a few hours sleep (had been up since 4 yesterday morning, was fading fast)...and I am about to go out and start getting things in order. I know it sounds insane, as most people boarded up their homes and left this area Friday...but you can't stick all these animals in stalls and just walk away. My Dad got on me last night because I want to feed JUST before I leave the farm so they aren't hungry (as well as scared out of their minds). I just don't want them to colic from air in their systems (lack of food). As it is, it will probably be nearly 24 hours (more if the rivers rise and I can't get back out here) before I can get back to them...so I will make sure they have water and are tucked safely away.

The storm is up to 145mph and the pressure has dropped overnight...soooo...Yeah, it should be interesting. Please pray for the people in Pensacola and Mobile as well as us, this could impact a large area and a lot of those people have yet to get back to their homes after Ivan hit the area 10 months ago.

I'll be in touch again as soon as possible. Now...where's that raincoat...

I am praying for everyone in the path of Dennis but especially those with horses. I worked for an insurance company (Geico), it seems like most of the major companies will look for an excuse to drop you if you live in a high risk area like Florida or for that matter anywhere along the coast. They lose so much money that they don't want to insure in those areas. Rates are controlled in most states so they can't charge enough to cover the damage, and we probably couldn't pay it if they did. I'm surprised that State Farm is using being a farm as a reason though. That just doesn't make sense.

Ok Folks I am out of here moving to our last location They are making me a little nervous now we had to fill out our next to Kin info cards (GREAT.......) But we will be locked in a hardened building and will be out as soon as it passes looking for people or property needing help I am not sure when I will be able to check this again but for everyone else in the path of this mess, Be safe and I hope to hear everyone and their farms fair ok.
yes.gif

Lonnie

Lonnie you stay safe out there. We will be praying for you and Kim.

Take care,

Ginny Long

Central Florida

We live in Ocala, right now just a little wind and alot of rain. We are thinking about you Kim take care.

Gosh I REALLY feel for you guys getting ready for Dennis,, been there done that 3 times last year with Charlie, Can't remember the 2nd one and the one that did us the worst Jeane. It was very scary. I was able to pack all my little herd in my very sturdy barn and it held strong, but it was still nerve wracking cause we cant see the barn from the house becuase of the garage. It was kinda weird cause when we built the barn we had not had a REAl hurricane ever. And after talking with a good friend closer to the coast decided to go ahead and pay all the extra money and build it strong. We have 8x8's in the corners and 6x6's every 8 feet! The guy that built it for me thought it was a little "overkill" but said it will be sturdy for sure. We put the rafters every 3 feet instead of 4 like a lot of barns. Then we put the super heavy duty screws in to hold on the roof.

And then the 2nd year after it was built here they come!! All 3 of them affected us but Jeane was the worst. They clocked 130 mph winds at the airport which is only 2 miles from me.

EVerytime I see a hurricane tracking map,, my gut hurts.

God please take care of everyone and every animal in the path of Dennis.

I will be watching the TV and thinking about you guys! Please let us know when you can how you all are doing.

Kim and Lonnie, we will be thinking of you and Dakota and all your animals, and praying that you guys and everyone else in the path of this storm will be fine.

Take care,

Bec and randy.

Was wondering what people do with there animals when a big storm is coming? Some of the big farms would have trouble moveing them out.......
sad.gif

Hi all-

I just talked with Grace from Shady Acres in the panhandle. They are all ok - animals and people. She said the only damage is a gate that is down. They lost electricity this morning at 10:30 but have a generator, so are ok there. She was worried especially about DakotahMoon, so I will call her back with the info that they are ok. Hope everyone else is ok.

Barbie

I sure hope everyone In the path of Dennis is ok! We are fine except for being waterlogged. Poor horses and critters! It had quit raining by this afternoon and we actually went out and took some horse pictures for potential buyers. Did u hear a new tropical depression just popped up and may be heading the same path as Dennis? Oh joy!

Latest posts

Back