Flooding run in shed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
We were new at building run in shelters and of course picked the most level spot. Of course it is down hill and it stays wet. Can we build a floor. Need to do this before winter. Next spring we will move the location but need something for the winter.

You can build a floor but be sure to use materials that can handle the continued wet conditions. We had a run in that was like that and instead of a wooden floor we built it up inside with small gravel/coarse sand and then put mats over that. It worked well, gave us drainage and with the mats was easy to clean but we did eventually have to lift the sides and put a treated foundation (railway ties) under it because the walls were always wet at the bottom. We have since changed our fence lines around and so no longer have that shelter.

As well as 'raising' the floor, you could also try digging a ditch around the outside to direct any run-off water in a different direction.

I saw someone use old carpeting. Turned the jute side up and it made an excellent wet weather surface. I have not needed that in droughty western OK, but I thought it was a good idea.

I built mine up using crushed limestone. It worked VERY well as it compacts good, but it also drains quickly. So water will still flow through in the normal drainage pattern but the top level in the run in shed stays dry.

I'm not too sure what you mean by a run-in shed; I guess it's an open-sided shed?

Rather than investing money into a floor, you might want to think about; drainage--for example, a French drain?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also be thinking of digging a ditch to aim the water flow around your shed.

Latest posts

Back