Floating teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 is not enough

Reaction score
The vet is coming out tomorrow to float teeth(first time I am having it done). I am wondering how long I should wait before driving Pride? I am guessing his mouth will be a little tender. Waiting five or six days would that be enough? I plan to ask the vet, wanted some opinions from here as well.

Thanks

Karen

AS long as it is just a simple float and he doesn't need any teeth pulled or nipped then you should be able to go out the next day and bridle him. If he has any trouble chewing his dinner afterwards then you may have to wait a bit till his mouth is more comfortable - sometimes they get a tender gum out of it if the teeth were particularly bad to do.

I generally wait three days. I wait a week if wolf teeth have been pulled.

Andrea

Just what Andrea said, I do the same
default_yes.gif
:

~Jessica

I feel the same. If it is just a simple float and an experienced vet, then you should be able to go out the following day. Any corrective measures taken or teeth pulled then I would wait a couple days.

One of my geldings I was working with this spring had his teeth floated, and I asked the vet wen I could put the bit in his mouth again and he said the next day. However, I don't recall if I got back to working with him actually or not (as I got side tracked...). For that horse, it was only a routine float.

My 4 year old mini was showing signs of discomfort turning to the left so I suspected a point or cap on the right side. Took him in last Tuesday for a dental and sure enough, there was a point and an ulcer on lower right jaw.

On Wednesday I did about a 10 minute work out just to see if there was a change, it was there. Didn't drive him for two days after that and both days this weekend he has been terrific and now gives me his mouth on a left hand turn.

Latest posts

Back