Floating and wolf teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
I have a mare that will be 3 this April. Should I have her teeth looked at and possibly floated this spring and her wolf teeth (if present) pulled?

Yep. I always do at three, particularly if I'm going to be showing or training the horse as a driving horse. Most colts are gelded at two, and that's a good time for wolf teeth while they're out... But stallions and mares when they're three is a great time to do it. Once the wolf teeth are gone, that's it. Some mares though I don't think get them sometimes?

Thanks. I'll have that checked out when I take them in for shots this spring! Appreciate the quick reply.

I check teeth yearly. I had a 2 year old that I had checked and we found his teeth were as sharp as razors. I was shocked. Every horse is different as to how the teeth will wear so I just feel better checking yearly. On wolf teeth I once had a boy we sedated and the vet was unable to get the wolf teeth extracted because they were rock solid into the jaw. Vet told me if they were that tight they wouldn't cause issues like when they wiggle or move. Don't know if what she told me was real or just a line because she failed to extract the wolf teeth but they seemed not to bother him even with bit training.

Since Feb is dental month my vet does 15% off any dental service. So Clementine is all booked to have her teeth looked at and any work done that is needed on Feb 7. I'll take any discount I can get
default_smile.png

Carl Mitz comes here every year and I have him go through the entire herd to take a look, regardless of age- yearlings and up. He doesnt charge for looking and it makes me content to know there aren't any issues that I should be aware of.

I also have Carl come out yearly and in fact he was just here yesterday...He said MOST horses need work done between ages 3-4...20 new teeth come in during that time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Clementines teeth floated on Friday last week. I also asked the vet about wolf teeth since she needs them out before she goes to driving training. At first he said he didn't think she had any just by feeling around. Then when he got her mouth open to float her teeth he said "Oh, she does have them but the are tiny". He tried to show me but I could not spot them. He said they barely break the surface of the gum just on the tips and aren't actually raised above the gum level. He said they should not interfere with the bit and would not come in any more at this age. He said he could dig in and pull them if I still wanted but I told him not to this time around.

Do you think I should have had them pulled anyway? If they aren't raised above the gums will they cause her problems driving?

Latest posts

Back