flirts in labor

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching her now. It'll be neat to see since I missed my own mare's.
default_smile.png

she is driving us nuts!! seems like she starts labor and stops ughhh. come on flirt!!!

guess ill make coffee. I thought that was going to be it sighsssssssss

I find when they can lay out flat like that and rest for a while, that they are not in labor. I have never had one lay out flat, then have a foal later that evening. My guess is that it will not be tonight. She does not seem to be restless enough either.

Get some sleep while you can.

I have had them go down on their bellies and rest for a bit, but keep getting up then down and only rest on their bellies, then lay over sideways and procceed to push out a baby.

I have also noticed that for a few days before they go into labor, they will start laying out flat to rest. Then when the big day comes, they do not lay out flat at all.

Flirt did just have some very runny poo.... maybe she hasn't read the foaling manuals?
default_smile.png
Darn horses, seems like there is always one here or there that does NOT follow the rules.
default_wacko.png

thanks river but we have foaled out flirt before and thats just not her way. She is dripping milk and her udder is totally engorged and hot. I guess from what hubby and others said (i was sleeping) she was pacing and kicking and rolling and then went to sleep LOL. Last year people could not believe how she would lay down flat and sleep. She actually foaled standing up last year. I dont think shes in labor right now but I due think shell foal tonight. But I could definitely be wrong!! she is a drama queen for sure but I know last year when her udder got hot and engorged she finally foaled

KayKay,

There is always the horse that does not follow the rules.(not that any of mine do either)
default_biggrin.png
, but I have never had one of mine be that relaxed and then foal, but if your horse has runny stools and milk,plus is engorged. I would think tonight too, but she just seems much too relaxed.

If she foals, it may not be till early morning.

All of mine this year were oh so nice and foaled before midnight. Most by 9:00PM.
default_aktion033.gif
(wish I could train them like that for every foaling year) So far I have had 10 live foals and only one more to go. Watch this last one keep me up all night.

Good luck with your foaling and I hope that you are able to get some sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks River!! this is our last one thank goodness. Mare stare has worn me out this year! we did have 2 born during the day which was really nice!

Checked the cam at 6:15 EST, Flirt is standing in the corner looking uncomfortable, no baby.

Don't the mares just drive you nuts!!
default_wacko.png

I hope it's soon Kaykay!
default_laugh.png

okay river you jinxed me LOL. I am just in shock. She was really rolling and kicking again an hour ago but still nothing. I should have known this is why her filly from last year is named Just Teasin Ya!!!

KayKay,

I hope you got some sleep last night. She just looked too relaxed to me to have gone. What is the old saying, "a watched pot never boils". Don't they just drive you nuts!!

I am watching one too, but she too looks too relaxed to go, so I did get sleep last night.

You know she is just waiting for you to go off to work. LOL

Im really lucky that most of my work is done from home. but i do have a meeting tomarrow so she needs to hurry up. She was dripping again but not as bad as last night. I do worry a bit about her dripping colostrum for too long. This poor mare is just miserable when you see her in person. manure is even softer then last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
the camera is down. Did anything happen?
default_laugh.png

I dont know why it went down but its back up whew. almost gave me a heart attack. Took me like 15 mins to get it back up. Sorry!

Just wanted to say that I had a mare that DID lay flat out (maiden) the afternoon she foaled. She was on the stall floor groaning and I went right up to her to see if she was ok and I knew then that something was going on, as she usually got up when I came near her in that position. She foaled that night!

Latest posts

Back