***FLIES***

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srpwildrose

Reaction score
The flies are really really bad this year. I was thinking about buying leg wraps for their legs.

Do you guys use those for flies, or what would recommend??

Thanks

I don't know about leg wraps so i can't help you there. In the past couple of years, I've relied on high-end (i.e., high priced) fly sprays, with limited success. This year I'm trying out the "fly eliminator" product. I've rec'd 2 shipments so far. Both came as we were having cool weather again so the flies had gone away again. We're about to have another warm spell, so we'll see if there's any difference. Next shipment is due in about 2 weeks.

I just started another thread on flies, didn't see this one. I haven't used the leg wraps but my vet told me to buy fly masks for everyone I could..

I have used fly predators in one barn for several years and think it helps some. Didn't order them this year - my mistake - as I've only got a couple of horses up there and it's a very open barn on the hill with a breeze. The fly spray system and liberal use of Endure is not doing the job right now, I've got flies everywhere! Have a little mare going to the vet on Monday to have habrenomas cut out of her eye, very nasty stuff, and probably half a dozen more with just very irritated eyes.

Jan

I"ve actually had biting flies so bad in past years driving my quarter horse batty that at one point I did use track bandages out of desperation on his legs. Its a real pain and didn't last long.

Take a look here:

http://www.minitack.com/kmps.htm

I don't know what brand, but my feed store has a fly block very much like a salt block. It has worked good for me. Horses love it, and it kills the fly eggs in the manure.

Back