Flies, Flies and more Flies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We also have our fair share of flys this year. Even though we have chickens running around we still have alot. I skipped the Fly Predators this year and what a mistake that was. Those little beggers really do work and I will be placing my order for next year.

Has anybody tried Zonk It? Wondering how that stuff works. Says it comes scented like baby powder, now that I could spray on my horses. Some of the sprays is enough to choke me let alone put it on my horses.

Lots of GREAT advice and ideas here! Thank you everyone! I have a plan for next year I'll tell ya LOL.

Becky, I'm sorry that the flies have caused your little one so much grief.

I am using Endure and Solitude and I do like fly bags.

I am also getting Fly Predators

Thank goodness we don't get mosquitoes up here

We have an automated fly spray system in the main barn as well as the mare barn. I have had great success with keeping my pastures picked clean and keeping all the manure as far away from the barn. My few that are extra sensitive live in fly sheets, fly masks, and fly boots. Heavy fly spray and out only during lower 'fly' times.

Here in FL, the mosquitos are my biggest battle, so that means lots of checks for standing water to dump, and mowing to give the nasties less places to hide!

I feel for you northern folk- I have family in MI- and visiting them during the black fly season is like a bad horror movie for my poor legs!

I use Bug Check (feed-thru everyday) and it is awesome!Smells garlicky but the horses lick it up and it works. I don't fly spray hardly at all. Also there is an ingredient that stays int heir poop and stops flies from breeding in it. I have not tried anything like this before but am going to keep using Bug Check for sure just because it works so well. I don't mind the barn smelling a bit like an Italian Trattoria!

Latest posts

Back