Flies and June bugs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim P

Reaction score
I am so glad to see warm weather! With this wonderful weather I have so many flies this year! There is at least one fly in every room of my house that will drive you crazy! We grilled Sunday and had the front and back door open. I had to hang a fly strip in the kitchen to help me out! Then at night when you open the door a June bug definitely sneaks in! If you try to sit outside you better sit far away from the light or you will feel like you are in a shower of junebugs! Ants are all in the yard too! I still love the sunshine and nice weather!

I'm foreseeing a bad fly year. Except for a few weeks in December of sub-zero temps, we had a fairly mild winter and now highs are in the 60's and 70's!!!

I'm fighting the little zooming/hovering flies in our kitchen every morning. We have a fly strip and I spray them in mid-air daily. UGH! This is too early!

So far, the flies aren't invading the barn and paddocks, but it's only a matter of time.

We just had the worst summer for European wasps in the last 20 years. It was a bit wetter than usual this summer and the wasps thrived on it. Had one trip to the vet with my dog that copped a bite then went into anaphylactic shock.

The were so bad I had to change my feeding times as they loved hanging around the horses hay during the day and at some times I could count 20-30 at a time hanging around.

I had wasp for a short time. I don't know where they went. I am sure they will come back. I could not find wasp spay! They were sold out at all the stores so I bought some 15 dollar trap and all I have in it so far is a June bug and mosquito hawk. I put out the fly jugs today. I may have to put one out by the porch and everyone will just have to adjust to the funky smell! Lol

Some years we have terrible june bugs. Every year it seems to be something different!

Not many flies yet. But we've had some rain so we can expect mosquitos soon.

Have not seen any little grasshoppers yet--sure dread that!

But you're right! Lovely weather so we'll just enjoy the outdoors while we can!

here its the mosquitoes and with so much rain they are getting really bad. Its hard to find something to control them. I really don't like spraying or fogging strong chemicals where the kids and the pets play. I don't want them bitten or sick either. Don't quite know what to do this year.

Hopefully it's just a temporary cycle and they will disappear. When we've had a bad spell I have sprayed my horses with OFF in the evening. I hate doing it, but I don't want their blood sucked out. We've been lucky here--so far.

I wish! i've been thinking about trying the garlic spray on the perimeter and leaves, bushes etc. Has anyone tried that?

We've got flies and june bugs and a few lil grass hoppers here and there. OMG I hate the big hoppers, they are so huge and they seem to know I hate them, as thy seem to always fly at me. Yuke. Never had this problem with big hoppers when I lived up in New England. :)

Latest posts

Back