Flicka's mare stare thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,
just wanted to let you know that the little boy, which I haven't even named yet, went down hill again, even if he was getting enough milk and we did the madigan squeezes. He is just as weak as when he was born, even 24 hours old. Called the vet and decided his best chance was to get him and momma to the provincial vet school. Just came back from hauling them there.

They are supposed to call soon when they get their checkup done. I'm off to bed. Hardly slept since he was born, yesterday.
At least, I know they are in good hands and among a very experienced team. But I already miss them!

UPDATE:
The vet school called and here is the report. The vet says that she evaluated him and he is indeed a premature, and should have stayed in mommy that extra two weeks until due date. His lungs are not developed fully yet, although he is ok for oxygen. He may have kidney disfunction because he is too young, they were going to monitor that too. And they asked me if he had urinated and passed his meconium. They were worrying about a bladder rupture, but I told him I SAW him urinate at least 3 times, so They are just going to watch that. They had to give him plasma because of bad IgG, although it's not the worse case. They are also giving an intravenous perfusion to help him out.

I'm glad they are tubing him. I have this impression that this is what helped him most when the vet came to do it here.

The vet who takes care of his case stayed with him all night.

Yes, here is the link. Goal amount is in CAD (Canadian dollar).

https://ca.gofundme.com/f/help-tipo...-survive?qid=abacfbd1d797ab4f80b1012f00b1e990
I'll be honest with all of you, I just got a call from the vet school an hour ago for another update from faculty professor. Prognosis from x-rays taken this morning is not looking good as his legs are underdeveloped (cartilage stade only) and he would need avoid putting ANY weight on them. They would need to cast him in order to stop him from standing, and vet said there are high risks for resulting in leg deformation from those casts. That means he can't nurse, stand etc... I'm am torn between having him stay there another 3 weeks at minimum plus treatments, casts, not being able to pay the vet bill... (we are talking of several extra thousand dollars) or letting him go. I've been doing all I can. I hauled him there to know what could be done and to give in a better chance, but my financial situation doesn't allow me to go further.

However, whatever the outcome or decision I take, there are vet bills to be paid. So if any of you can just share this Go Fund Me link, please do. I'm not pressing anyone to help. Please feel free.

PS- BTW, Ti-pou is a French nickname for "little guy". I did not have the time to name him yet.

You are in a horrible situation, I'm so sorry. It's a hard decision to make, I would suggest you take a day and make sure you are OK with what you decide either way.

Yes. That's I'm going to do. I want to be at peace with whatever decision I take. But after so many sleep lacking nights, it's hard to think about normal things, let alone about my foal in hospital.

Ugh I’m so sorry you are having to go through this. It is not an easy decision I know.

I am sorry to announce that I took the sad decision to let him go. I am at peace with my decision, as I know that I did all I could for him. Taking him to the hospital and getting a clear mind of all his future challenges through all the tests and x-rays helps me a lot to accept this reality. Had I taken this decision without knowing all this, would have made me regret it forever. Now, I am at peace.

I forever thank you all your support during this whole thread, whether good moments or bad ones. I am really thankful I found this supportive community. Even if they are not on the forum, I thank the CHUV (Vet school) team for their long hours and tireless efforts to save "Ti-Pou", also the transport company who accepted to do transport with very short notice, and who will now be transporting Flicka home, today.

I want to do something to remember "Little Guy", but I don't know what yet. If you have ideas...

Once again, thank you very much.

Rest in peace, Little Guy, you were, and is still loved.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I feel supported, and while it can't get the pain to stop, it still helps. I don't have many words. It's terribly painful, even if I know this was the right choice. From the start, I did all I could to give him the best start in life. And then I get this awful first time experience. Still hard to understand. I'm going to start a new thread about caring for Flicka, now that she lost her foal. If anyone can give me advice for her, thanks. I need to take care of her as I know she is also grieving...

I am sorry to announce that I took the sad decision to let him go. I am at peace with my decision, as I know that I did all I could for him. Taking him to the hospital and getting a clear mind of all his future challenges through all the tests and x-rays helps me a lot to accept this reality. Had I taken this decision without knowing all this, would have made me regret it forever. Now, I am at peace.

I forever thank you all your support during this whole thread, whether good moments or bad ones. I am really thankful I found this supportive community. Even if they are not on the forum, I thank the CHUV (Vet school) team for their long hours and tireless efforts to save "Ti-Pou", also the transport company who accepted to do transport with very short notice, and who will now be transporting Flicka home, today.

I want to do something to remember "Little Guy", but I don't know what yet. If you have ideas...

Once again, thank you very much. Merry

Rest in peace, Little Guy, you were, and is still loved.

I just saw your post! 😥 I am so sorry to hear of all the complications & everything you have been through. My heartbreaks for you 💔 So sorry. Hugs 🙏

Latest posts

Back