Flicka's mare stare thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no foal yet... 🤨 but pH was at 6.0 or lower (no more color boxes to compare) this morning. I don't think she can be lower than that !

In your experience, how long can a mare wait when she is at 6.0 ?

Some can hold out a couple days. Very unusual though. I’d bet in the next 12-24 hrs. When mine tested that low I watched her all day hoping for a day foaling lol. Of course she didn’t foal. But I checked right after dinner then put her up and she foaled about 9:15. Right after it got dark.

Just tested her again. It's definitely lower than 6.0 now, but I just can't put a value on it. For the strips I'm using (Aquachek), 6.2 is ocher yellow on the chart. When it tested 6.0, it was primary yellow. Now it's a paler yellow than that.

Also, when I took the milk for testing, I saw it was yellow-white ! It is not transparent anymore. Is that colostrum ?

So exciting!! Thanks for putting what strips you're using, mine aren't as well defined, I'll have to try them.
I think that's colostrum but elizabeth.conder or maryann at miniv will be along to tell you I'm sure.
She can't hold on much longer, TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT!!!!!

So exciting!! Thanks for putting what strips you're using, mine aren't as well defined, I'll have to try them.
I think that's colostrum but elizabeth.conder or maryann at miniv will be along to tell you I'm sure.
She can't hold on much longer, TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT!!!!!

Oh !!! I do hope TONIGHT ! I just hope she hasn't decided to write the foaling textbook all over again. But seeing the pH drop so fast and consistently, I think she'll go by the book. I pray she does !

I think she's just waiting on the foal giving her the green light now. How are you holding up?

Here is Flicka's belly tonight. That baby is ready to pop out !!!!!!!!!! It's dropped and ready to come ! I am officially extra excited and I really hope tonight is THE night !

I also included some pictures of daddy. I talked a lot about Flicka, but haven't posted a single picture of Jumper.

IMG_3619.JPGIMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG

Jumper's lovely.
Just a suggestion if you're leaving her tail braided for foaling. Take it out after she foals, if she swats the foal it will HURT, I'm also paranoid about a foal getting a foot in the braid and being dragged around. Looks READY to me 🤞 :D

Jumper's lovely.
Just a suggestion if you're leaving her tail braided for foaling. Take it out after she foals, if she swats the foal it will HURT, I'm also paranoid about a foal getting a foot in the braid and being dragged around. Looks READY to me 🤞 :D

Very good advice, Taz, I will certainly do that! I did a braid, because somehow, I am paranoid about tying a bandage too tightly on her tailbone, because of poor blood circulation. But, yes, as soon as the foal is out, I'll make sure get that tail unbraided !

Latest posts

Back