Flicka's mare stare thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s great! Between allowing you some more sleep and just having company I bet it will help a lot! You are doing great! I know it’s hard! But you’re almost there and a healthy mare and foal is 100% worth it. And that’s why breeders keep on breeding. The wait is excruciating but the reward is worth it!

100% agree. Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me. It really helped me feel better about all this !

This evening's update. (day 325)
pH was 7.8 (same as yesterday).
BUT! Bag is bigger, teats point straight down. And milk not only changed from amber /liquid, to semi-opaque (happened yesterday), but tonight it is sticky and half salty half sweet. It was thick enough that the test strips could not absorb it. It just left a "bubble" of milk on it. She did not lift her belly when I checked her udder.

I did the tail resistance test and resistance was zero ! Vulva is very relax, it almost opens by itself, and color has a nuance of darker pink in it.

Although the belly doesn't have a very pronounced V shape, she is not carrying wide anymore.

Oh well, we'll see. I really hope it happens this week, tonight even better. 😊

Ok, no foal, BUT ! pH dropped from 8.0 - 7.8 to 7.0 when tested this morning!! Milk is even stickier. Flicka was very restless last night!

Sorry, I don't have much time to write more, but just wanted to let you all know !

Last edited:
Yes very exciting!!!!
I was so surprised, I tested twice because I thought there was a problem with the strips, LOL! 😂

on my thread I shared a mare that was close. She tested 7.5 yesterday morning. 6.8 at midnight. Tested again at 4 am and she was 6.0 and foaled 30 minutes later! So your girl may not be too far off!

on my thread I shared a mare that was close. She tested 7.5 yesterday morning. 6.8 at midnight. Tested again at 4 am and she was 6.0 and foaled 30 minutes later! So your girl may not be too far off!

Yes I saw your post this morning and when I went to look at the cam, the foal was there! Made me even more excited! 😊 😁😄😀

Hello everyone !
More changes since this morning ! I tested at noon, and it was still 7.0. I tested at 5.00 pm (an hour ago), and it was without any doubts at 6.8 ! I'm really thinking we'll have a foal tonight, if not tomorrow night, if it keeps dropping as steadily and if she isn't one of those mares who wants to "rewrite the textbook". 😂

But so far, she's been following the textbook quite closely for all the other signs...

I'm so excited !!!! ..... and nervous.

BTW, I have a question. I'll be watching from the barn, from the tack room, so I won't need to run from the house when it happens. But when do you go take a look physically during labor ? I really don't want her feel too stressed and stop first stage labor because I came to watch too fast. Hope this question makes sense.

Last edited:
Hello everyone !
More changes since this morning ! I tested at noon, and it was still 7.0. I tested at 5.00 pm (an hour ago), and it was without any doubts at 6.8 ! I'm really thinking we'll have a foal tonight, if not tomorrow night, if it keeps dropping as steadily and if she isn't one of those mares who wants to "rewrite the textbook". 😂

But so far, she's been following the textbook quite closely for all the other signs...

I'm so excited !!!! ..... and nervous.

BTW, I have a question. I'll be watching from the barn, from the tack room, so I won't need to run from the house when it happens. But when do you go take a look physically during labor ? I really don't want her feel too stressed and stop first stage labor because I came to watch too fast. Hope this question makes sense.

So exciting!

Makes perfect sense! I usually wait till I see the water break. But that’s just me. There’s not much you can do to intervene before the water breaks. And once it breaks there is no stopping the foaling. Sometimes it’s fine to go once they start acting like they are going to foal but it’s hit or miss if they will delay.

So exciting!

Makes perfect sense! I usually wait till I see the water break. But that’s just me. There’s not much you can do to intervene before the water breaks. And once it breaks there is no stopping the foaling. Sometimes it’s fine to go once they start acting like they are going to foal but it’s hit or miss if they will delay.

perfect! I was thinking that must be the time to go, but just wanted to be sure.

perfect! I was thinking that must be the time to go, but just wanted to be sure.

Also as soon as I physically check, I start feeling for legs. Dystocias are easiest To correct early. You should feel one leg with one right behind it. Make sure not to pull them both even or they can get shoulder lock. You probably know that though.

So exciting!

I waited till I saw pushing start. Makes me feel better that's what the pros do too.

Good morning. No foal yet, but I think very soon !
pH was 6.6 at midnight. Same this morning. Flicka was very restless once again. She lay down a lot, switched her tail all night long (btw, there are no flies yet, so it's not because she is bothered by flies), and yawned a lot too.

There were lots of cowpies in her stall when I cleaned it this morning. Honestly, with the cow pies in her stall, I'm a bit surprised she didn't foal last night... any thoughts ?

I decided to keep her in her stall today. I let her go out for a short turnout while I cleaned the stalls, but it seems so close, I don't want to take chances. Of course, I'll be checking on her often.

Also as soon as I physically check, I start feeling for legs. Dystocias are easiest To correct early. You should feel one leg with one right behind it. Make sure not to pull them both even or they can get shoulder lock. You probably know that though.

That's ok. Thanks for reminding me! I'll remember it better !

Good morning. No foal yet, but I think very soon !
pH was 6.6 at midnight. Same this morning. Flicka was very restless once again. She lay down a lot, switched her tail all night long (btw, there are no flies yet, so it's not because she is bothered by flies), and yawned a lot too.

There were lots of cowpies in her stall when I cleaned it this morning. Honestly, with the cow pies in her stall, I'm a bit surprised she didn't foal last night... any thoughts ?

I decided to keep her in her stall today. I let her go out for a short turnout while I cleaned the stalls, but it seems so close, I don't want to take chances. Of course, I'll be checking on her often.

Good decision! With the cow pies id expect a foal before long. Keeping her in is a great idea. If you don’t have a coveted day time foal, I would be surprised if she does not foal soon after.

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back