Flicka's mare stare thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,
Here is an update on Flicka.
The vet came yesterday to give second dose of vaccines to my stallion and she took a look at Flicka at the same time. Everything looks very good ! I had the nutritionist come to take a hay sample for testing and help me figure out how much feed Flicka needs according to the hay results.

I told the vet that Flicka has had 2 other foals on the same day of gestation (day 342), and she agrees that it will very likely happen again... But like she said, it's better to be prepared in case it happens before. My last thing to do to get ready is install my foaling monitor, that I'll be watching from my tack room. This way, I will be on site when it happens.

Otherwise, Flicka's udder is gradually filling. It's getting bigger every day, but it's not very full yet.

I included the latest pictures of Flicka...

0 3(1).jpg0-1 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you everyone ! 🙂 I can't wait to meet baby! 😁
I used a genetic calculator... there's 26.5% for palomino and 26.5% for bay... and 1% for black... I don't remember the percentage for the other colors...

So, yes, I can't wait to see what she is hiding in there !

I am not sure what color the sire is, but that mare has silver, so you also have silver in play!

Honiton and elisabeth.conder, you're right... I did mistake her for a palomino... Now I know! ☺

So, I've redone the calculation, here are the results:
32.96% Gray (Bay)
32.96% Gray (Silver Bay)
10.99% Bay
10.99% Silver Bay
4.69 % Gray (Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)
(etc.....)

AHA ! Just found the error.
When I did the test, It asked for the color of the sire and dam, which I entered... and beside it, there was a box for "gray". It was checked! I unchecked it, and here is what I got... I think it makes more sense... what do you think ?

43.95% -​
Bay
43.95% -​
Silver Bay
6.25% -​
Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)
2.93% -​
Black
2.93% -​
Silver Black

AHA ! Just found the error.
When I did the test, It asked for the color of the sire and dam, which I entered... and beside it, there was a box for "gray". It was checked! I unchecked it, and here is what I got... I think it makes more sense... what do you think ?

43.95% -​
Bay
43.95% -​
Silver Bay
6.25% -​
Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)
2.93% -​
Black
2.93% -​
Silver Black

Yes this is correct! My stallion is silver bay and I really want a silver black. My money is on red though with his test results and the dam being red.

Hello everyone,
Here is an update on Flicka.
Today is day 315 and she is getting bigger and bigger.
I never thought that mares could get this big ! Flicka is getting more grumpy and heavy. :)

Everything seems to be going textbook so far. Last w-end, she started to seriously bag up, although there is no milk to test yet. My foaling cam is up and ready. Foaling kit is ready since early March. Only thing left is for me to finish that foal blanket I started. All I need to do is put the velcro and belly band.

I've been keeping a record since day 300 with the awesome sheets that I found on I AM Ranch 's website. It's very useful to see the progression! I've been reading all the info on their website, it's incredible the amount of resources they have for miniature horse owners! I included the link, in case you are interested.

http://iamranch.com/ftcollectionchart.htm
Have a wonderful day !

Ok, so I did take some pics, but can't get them on my computer for some reason. UGH! 😒

Flicka's belly seems to be dropping, she was not as wide from behind when I took the pictures. I noticed a very slight "V" shape which is new.

I did the warm cloth trick after walking her, but was unable to get any milk. Vulva is getting more relax, but it's started to be for at least a week or so... Pelvic muscles are softer. Lots of tail rubbing today, although she might have felt itchy from shedding. Manure was normal, and behavior (feeding habits etc.) were normal, too.

The only thing that is tricky is that although she is bagging up, it still doesn't look as full as some pictures I've seen of mares that were very close to foaling, but who knows ?

I'll be watching her again tonight for sure.

I'll paste this same post on Flicka's foaling thread, so it doesn't get all mixed up.

Good morning,
I was finally able to load the pictures from yesterday. 😅

Flicka is at day 320 today.
Last night she was more uncomfortable than the previous nights. Lots of tail rubbing and tail switching throughout the night. The vulva was even more relaxed this morning than what you will see in the pictures from yesterday. There were no wrinkles at all when I checked this morning. Bag was also bigger this morning compared to yesterday's pic, but it's normal because I took the picture in the evening. Teats are pointing inwards. Belly is in same position as yesterday, with that slight V shape. (see picture on post #22 for comparison with her "normal pregnancy belly). Manure was normal. Could not get a single drop of milk to test, though 😕

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0866.jpeg

Latest posts

Back