flaxseed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBittyBritches

Reaction score
I was considering adding flaxseed to my minis grain. I have read alot about its benefits, and how to feed it. And newer information is saying just feeding it whole is ok, and it lasts longer. But, there is a bit more "waste". So, I wanted to see what your thoughts or experiences with it were before I add it. Thanks!

Since I have to order pretty much everything online around here, I use stabilized ground flax for my horses. I actually use a couple different products. My Cushings gelding gets Omega Horseshine, its available in his SmartPaks; and the other gets plain stabilized ground flax from Horsetech (its called NutraFlax), I order the 20# bag, as I have tons of buckets I can use to store it. I keep most of the Nutraflax in the house to keep the storage temp down, and just take a couple weeks worth out to the barn at a time, during hot summer months (winter I can store it all in the barn).

I feed it whole, have for years now. My horses get (oh I hate to admit this..I don't weigh or measure
default_blush.png
)a handful on top of their ration balancer pellets every day. It would measure about the same as WashingtonCowgirl's amount. Around 2 tbsp each. I prefer to feed whole for several reasons; convenience, whole it helps push sand etc. on thro the gut, its less expensive to buy that way and I don't care for feeding anything that is ground fine and is like a dust because of the risk of inhalation. My horses loose very very little, I've checked their droppings repeatedly and not found any unchewed seeds (what I hear as the major reason to feed it ground- horses won't digest it if properly if its unground, it'll come thro untouched) I do get a few pretty blue flowers every year but they are the result of my carelessness and the seeds sticking to the lips and whiskers occasionally and being dropped that way. Since I have been feeding flax consistently even my roans are shiney in the summer and all of the horses have nice coats and hooves and healthier skin.

Lol! No worries Reignmaker, I have a scoop that I use. Not sure how much it equals, the 2tbsp was a total guesstimate :p

I feed Omega Horseshine, which is a stabilized ground flax, Several dealers now carry it around here, but I still order it online; the cost is STILL less that way, when you consider retail markup, sales tax locally, and the cost of me going to get it at a dealer's!

It is certainly NOT 'powdery' nor dusty; remember, flax is 'oily'.For 5 minis, It takes me @ 6-7 mo. to use up a 50# bag; Omega's is guaranteed to stay stable/usable for up to a year, PROPERLY STORED...I keep mine in my feed bin(an old telephone booth, laid on its back and w/ a plywood 'lid') in my insulated barn, which is well-ventilated and free of 'extremes' of temperature, out of the sun,and protected from moisture. I definitely see excellent benefits in coat quality and shine, and hoof quality and growth, in my horses!

Margo

I have a handy little coffee grinder and grind mine daily. Only a few get it, so I like to use it ground and fresh. I use a very scientifically measured handful too!!

Flax must be ground so the body can utilize it. If not, it passes through the body (both human and Equine). Rarely is it broken down in the chewing stage.

I am glad horseshine was mentioned, because that is my next question. Is it much different results to use horseshine over flaxseed. I am having a hard time finding horseshine in stock, and my feed store carries flaxseed.

Flax must be ground so the body can utilize it. If not, it passes through the body (both human and Equine). Rarely is it broken down in the chewing stage.
This is the debate that continues to go on and on and on and on... I do not agree with you and am very happy with my results feeding whole but am content to leave you with your opinion and respect your right to it.

I feed 4oz daily whole per my vet for skin and coat. I love it and works great. I too had heard that it needs to be ground and did discuss with my vet as well as a couple others and all have assured me that whole is best and easiest. I don't find any waste or whole seeds not digested either.

I get 50# at Wilco Farm store with my farm discount for $32 and lasts quite awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.fitsugar.com/Flaxseed-Whole-vs-Ground-3704080

A chart for comparing whole vs ground. My vet, doctor, and nutrition experts defer to tests like this chart showing that you get more of the benefits if the flax is ground. Otherwise most will pass through the intestinal track undigested and that means most of the flax is just passed through. Good for the same thing as physillium too either way.

Omega Horseshine is not just ground flax, it has other good things in it and is much better. When I run out i give them my own ground flax.

I feed whole flax seed. Mainly because it does help in preventing sand colic. But it also is good for the coat, skin and more. I have noticed a difference in my horses skin and coats even with the whole seed and it is great for sand. So I use it whole.

Very little can be digested from whole flax as the outer coat, unless "chipped away" by grinding or cooking, will not be affected by the digestive acids in the stomach- this is just a fact. You can carry on thinking that your horse is benefiting form feeding whole flax, that is fine. You will never see the seeds in the dung, they are small and brown!! (sound familiar?) A very small amount of the flax will actually come into contact with the horses teeth, and get ground, so not ALL benefit passes straight through, and if you are lucky enough to have healthy shiny horses, maybe this is what you are mistaking for benefits?

Those that think the whole seed is benefiting their horses I would suggest do the following:

Continue with the present diet and exercise routine in all ways except remove the flax (unless of course you are using it to prevent sand colic)

Wait one month and re-evaluate.

I use ground cooked flax and buy it in 25 kg sacks (approx 55 lbs)

I have never had a sack go off, and I use a carefully regulate black scoop plonked into every third bucket of feed I am mixing up (very scientific!) If I think someone, (weaned foals for example) needs a bit extra I dump another carefully regulated handful into their feed.....

Well I told myself to move on because this is one of those subjects that there is never a consensus on and there is no benefit to trying to change minds... really doesn't matter what others believe it matters what I believe. But.. that said, Rabbitsfizz, while I respect you and recognize your years of knowledge/experience I still say mine get plenty from whole flax. I have made a point of collecting the manure at different times of the day to account for the speed at which it passes thro and then soaked it in water to break it down and kept rinsing the smallest bits out to see what was there. No flax seeds to be found... thus I believe they are being digested. Plus there has been several occasions where I have run out of flax and it has taken me some time to pick up a new bag. During the time my horses don't have flax for an extended time (lets face it if they are shiny they won't get dull over nite)I see a marked decline in their coats. So that is JMO but it is based on my own experience with the subject so I am content to continue as I am.

Latest posts

Back