Flax Seed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallgateminis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have heard that many of you use flax seed to put a nice shine on your horses coat. I was just wondering what flax seed actually is and were you can buy it?

Also how much do you feed to your horses. I give my horses Super 14 right know. It works well and Im almost out of it, So I thought Id try something new and heard that Flax seed is the best supplement to get your horses shiny.

Any suggestions?

I feed flax seed and BOSS (black oil sunflower seed). I love both of the supplements. You can get flax seed from most feed stores especially those carrying bird food.

it looks like this

HFLAS.jpg

and contains fat. I feed 1/4 of a cup each day in the morning.

We use flax seed on our show horses. It is very good for them.. I was told though that you should grind it up in like a coffee grinder or somthing.. If they are left as seeds they wont digest all of them and wont get the full affect..

We use flax seed on our show horses. It is very good for them.. I was told though that you should grind it up in like a coffee grinder or somthing.. If they are left as seeds they wont digest all of them and wont get the full affect..

Well finally Josh,
laugh.gif
I knew we get a show secret tip out of you sooner or later.
biggrin.gif
Thanks!
aktion033.gif

Josh is right. You have to grind it in a coffee grinder - otherwise they will just poop them out.

And if you grind up a bunch during the warm months - if you don't use it the same day, store it in a covered container in the regrigerator. Flax seed will keep forever if kept dry and un-ground. But it goes bad quickly in warm humid weather after it has been ground.

You can get it at any feed mill. It's easier to find in the grain-belt areas, but if you ask, your local feed mill will get it for you.

And Josh....when are you going to make that big announcement??????

[SIZE=14pt]Flax seed is a very fine seed..... you can get more out of it ground but you can also feed it whole. I put it whole into my feed and also my own yogurt![/SIZE]

Grinding Im told now , releases the omega oils more effectively. I like Jessica feed 1/4 cup per day.I think whole is better if you tend to have lots of sand. It will work like sand clear but with the benefit of omega 3 oils.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fed flax seed for two years and my horses have had beautiful coats even in the winter. I have a very long haired filly who is red and white and you can even see hers shine on the red right now in the winter. I also feed it whole. It also helps a little with the dry poops I get with one of my geldings, don't know why but has really added a touch of oil. HEHE
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back