Flat Lotto Visits ME! I am so Lucky!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunQuest

Reaction score
Lotto arrived at my home on Wed April 19, 2006 much to my joy. It was perfect timing as the weather had been terrible before Lotto arrived. After some fresh air and a good night's sleep, we were ready to go on a two hour one way trip south of Boise to Twin Falls Idaho for some sightseeing.

First on the agenda was a trip to "The Niagara Falls of the West". Here is what Flat Lotto saw for most of the way to the falls… Nothing but desert!

desert.jpg

But, if you go far enough, the desert will suddenly open up into a deep canyon that was cut by the Snake River. While this section of the Snake River is not the deepest gorge, the very same river is responsible for Hells Canyon which is the deepest gorge in North America.

desert1.jpg

desert2.jpg

Well, while Flat Lotto is a terrific jumper, he decided to apply the brakes as he thought "I don't think I can jump this one!"

desertlotto.jpg

To cross the Snake River Canyon, we had to drive over a huge bridge called the I.B. Perrine Bridge which connects Twin Falls with Interstate 84. This bridge is approximately 1,500 feet long, and 486 feet above the Snake River. Originally it was a toll bridge, but in 1940 the tolls were eliminated due to the lack of popularity of it. In the early 1970's the bridge was replaced with what you see today because the original bridge was unable to handle the heavy loads of the vehicles trying to get to Twin Falls.

bridge.jpg

(Hey Marty!!!! Look!!!! They have a Wally World here too!)

bridge1.jpg

(To Be continued!)

After a brief rest and some lunch, we ventured on to our ultimate destination. Just down the road a couple of miles and a short loop back to the canyon we discovered what we had been looking for. The Niagara of the West. This is home to a very large waterfall called Shoshone Falls pronounced "show-SHOWN".

This waterfall is taller than Niagara. It is 212 feet (64.7 meters) high, which is approximately 52 feet higher than Niagara. The water flows over a multi-terraced rim which is 900 feet (274 meters) wide. These pictures were taken on April 20th with the water running at about 18,600 cubic feet per second. Which in simple terms means that's a lot of water! One cfs equlas about 7.48 gallons of water per second or about 449 gallons of water per minute. So what these pictures are showing is 139,138 gallons of water going over the edge of the falls per second which is about 8,351,400 gallons of water going over the edge of the falls per minute.

What is so unusual is that rarely are the water levels at this level. The last time that the flows were this strong was in 1997, and it only happens if we have normal to above normal precipitation in the mountains during the winter. In the late summer one is likely to see 3 separate waterfalls if one is lucky, or maybe only just a trickle over the far edge as the water is held back in resevoirs for irrregation. But, when the moisture levels are normal or above, and it is spring, one can see what the falls look like in their natural state.

So here are the pictures… The first one is taken from near the enterance to the park. I used a zoom lense and zoomed in around 300mm to get a picture that is right on the edge. I was trying for the feel of being in a boat and going to far. You will notice that big power plant at the bottom of the falls. This is a building that is at least 3 or 4 stories tall.

falls1.jpg

We were blessed with wonderful sun and it created the great rainbows in the pictures.

falls2.jpg

Here is a woman who is looking at the falls. I was standing on an upper path that would take me to another lookout over the edge of the canyon.

falls3.jpg

falls4.jpg

falls5.jpg

Flat Lotto taking in the view of the falls from the parking area.

lottofalls.jpg

Flat Lotto standing on the railing just begging me to NOT let him go! It is a long way down from there!

lottofalls1.jpg

(To Be Continued!)

Well, after the long day we returned home where Flat Lotto accompanied me for some of my daily routines. Here he is in my horse hauling truck, a 2003 dodge ram, looking out the window at a busy intersection when I was on my way to get my cup of coffee.

lottotruck.jpg

Of course I had to share it with Flat Lotto as well! Don't worry! It is sugar free and decaf!

lottostarbucks.jpg

Here is Flat Lotto playing in my tulips. He just had to take the time to "tiptoe through the tulips".

lottotulips.jpg

Then all heck broke loose! My husband and I decided that we would take his puppy and my older dog for a walk and have lunch downtown. Well, we all know what happened then! Poor Flat Lotto… He helped me search for our puppy. Here he is looking over the sign that I made to make sure that I was doing it correctly.

lost.jpg

Here is Flat Lotto with our puppy Caesar, then with my husky Glacier. Careful Lotto! They are bigger than you!

lottocaesar.jpg

lottoglacier.jpg

Well, I went to take Flat Lotto to the farm to see the horses. Hummm. I decided that I better keep him hidden in the barn as we had clients over and I didn't want them to take Flat Lotto home with them! Unfortunately, all did not go as planned, and well, the clients couldn't take their horses home as one of them was not impressed with their horse trailer and tried to hurt herself in it. She was taught to haul in a slant load and the straight load with the feeder on top was an accident waiting to happen. I wound up removing the mare's feet from the feeder and the clients had to journey home to see about making the trailer a little more safe for their newest minis. After all of that, I decided that Flat Lotto would miss meeting the minis this weekend. But that is ok. Flat Lotto told me that they are really dirty and that since they were shedding so strongly that he would just assume not mess up his fur!

So yesterday I thought hummmm…. One last chance to get Flat Lotto to the farm yesterday. Well, fate was not on my side. I got home and let my dogs out of the kennel so that I could spend the rest of the night with them. Well, I noticed that my husky had an issue with blood in his stool and well it wasn't a tiny amount either. Well, off to the emergency vet I went. So much for my evening. I spent the whole night in there as they were really busy with one mishap after another (a large dog was brought in that had been hit by a car!) and didn't get home until after 11 pm. So a few more dollars later and a perscription to help calm his insides we come home. I am just hoping and praying that it is nothing more serious and that the meds will take care of this, and that my non-animal, non-nursey type of hubby will take care of him and keep a super close eye on him and do all the things I would do myself including rushing him to the hospital if needed. My biggest worry is how do I take care of my dog when I have to be in the hospital myself?

So with that news I gave Flat Lotto a big hug and a kiss, and loaded him into his trailer and sent him on the way to his next destination today. He should be arriving there shortly, and is definitely looking forward to new adventures with new friends! Take Care Lotto! We will miss you!

Wow, what a great read! I have been to that bridge/area on a trip East many years ago (I was ten), and vaguely remember it, but your pics are great.

Looking forward to his next adventures and I hope he gets to come visit here, soon. ;)

I only hope he won't be bored after all he's already seen and done! *LOL*

Take care, Nila!

Liz M.

Excellent pics and a wonderful story, my prayers are with you all.

How exciting!
default_wink.png
: What FUN! :aktion033:

I'm afraid I would have up-chucked big time on that trip but I'm so glad that Lotto made it back safely.

Way to go!

What fabulous photos - and a wonderful time I am sure!

Thanks for sharing all of that!!

JJay

That was really fun. I've enjoyed reading all of flat lotto's journeys.

He arrived in WA state several days ago! :aktion033:

Thank you for giving him such a great time Nila!
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back