Flaky Skin Issue...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
One of my show horses has some flaky spots on her neck. I have washed it with fungus shampoo, didn't work. I've washed her with dawn, she's been wormed..

It's very hot here so every evening after her workout I rinse her with the water hose.. Could this be drying her out? It's strange because it seems to only be on her neck and around her mane and poll. I quit putting sweats on her two weeks ago...

Any thoughts? With Nationals quickly approaching, I'm freaking out a little
default_smile.png
Of course she's black!

Thanks

Lynda

www.moondancehorsefarm.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd contact a vet before adding any vit supplements, but... My Cushing's gelding came out of winter with scurfy skin/hair, and it didn't go away after clipping off his winter Cushings coat, he's on recommended amount of daily flax seed. Anyway, when I spoke with the vet, she recommended giving him Vit A daily, to try it out for a couple weeks and see if it helped, and it did. I'm about to run out, so will probably try him without it for awhile and see how he does. He's looking quite good, probably the best he's looked since he was given to me.

I bathe mine with eZall and its very safe to use if you are bathing them so often like if you are sweating them every day you can rinse them off with this. Their coats get better IMO if you use it more. Been very happy with it.

I bathe mine with eZall and its very safe to use if you are bathing them so often like if you are sweating them every day you can rinse them off with this. Their coats get better IMO if you use it more. Been very happy with it.
Hey Jamie, thanks for the suggestion, where do you get eZall?

I have two black mares like this, it's bugs! I would recommend putting spray on her a couple of times a day, or maybe even keep her in during the day, with spray and only out at night. You may also try adding black oil sunflower seeds to her diet.

Latest posts

Back