Five things you would tell a new mini owner...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steedamini32

Reaction score
Hello!

I am brand new to the forums but have been following for a while, now. I have owned horses in the past but it has been several years and am finally at a place where I can again devote the attention and care they require...and I have also decided to make the switch over to minis. Several things I took into consideration, but one of the main reasons being that we now have a young child who I would love to see grow up and learn to care for horses properly. I think owning a few minis will give him the opportunity in a safe and less intimidating manner. I am also interested in pleasure driving and hope to learn down the road, but for now, we will just be looking for a few new members of the family. My question, if you could tell a brand new mini owner five things, what would they be? I know invariably we will make mistakes, but in bringing horses home for the first time (boarding previously with my riding horses), what advice would you give?

Any info is much appreciated. Although we are excited, we are in no rush and will be patient in our search for the right ones. I hope to become an active member of this forum in the near future.

Please do not breed. Read and learn as much as you can about horses before buying. Don't buy a pregnant mare. Become a forum member and ask questions. Vet check before you buy. Congratulations! owning a mini is one of the best things you'll do in your life
default_smile.png

Wow, what a great thread. Got me thinking . . . seems to me you already have thought through some of this and Be patient, which you already get, would have been one of my top five. Also, focus on what you expect/want which you also appeared to do by mentioning a) young child and b) desire to do pleasure driving. Think you have about 3 of the 5 I would throw out there to begin with.....

1)Study, research, talk, text, etc with others in the mini world. 2)Keep it small to begin with as you refine and zero in on what your goal/dream with them is. 3)If halter is not one of your goals, consider all the great minis out there that need homes (there are many unwanted minis out there who are perfectly able to do performance, therapy, 4H, etc). 4)If you want to do halter, go back to #1. 5)...? Watch out, there are people who will do anything to sell you a horse.....go back to #1.....

Welcome and it sounds like some minis might find themselves a great home......

Be sure the horse is sound and healthy!! It's a heartbreak to bring one home, spend so much time and emotional energy, and find it cannot have a good life. Unless one is naturally a Rescuer, or an obsessive Nurturer, be sure the horse is sound. Good horses need good homes also!

Does one have access to a good farrier? Equine dentist? Veterinarian? Bringing home a horse and thinking it can just survive "like in the wild" is unrealistic.

Don't expect a miniature stallion to be less of a stallion just because he is little.

Is one prepared to be boss of the herd? Horses are not stuffed animals that are always cuddly and sweet.

Have someone knowledgeable about minis help you select them and give you advice before you purchase. It's too easy to say "but he's so cute!"

Do not treat them differently than a big horse... Expect the same manners every time.

Get dental work done every year.

Buy a scale and weigh every feeding of hay and grain if they're not out on pasture.

Exercise them at least 3-4 times a week lunging, round penning, or driving. It's good for their bodies and brains, and its fun. Too many minis stand around as "pets" and aren't treated like the performance animal nature designed the horse to be.

1) Don't go buying everything you think youre going to use, wait till your'e sure you need it.

2) Join a Miniature Horse Club (you can find them on the AMHR website)

3) Make goals and actually work toward them

4) Go to as many clinics as you can get to

5) Don't treat them any different than any other horse.

Have fun!
default_smile.png

Sounds like you have the right attitude and plans for your minis which is a great start. My 5 points would be:

1. Know enough about your plans so that you can buy right - the right registry (if you plan to show) and size for what you want to do. A 2 inch size difference makes a big difference in minis, and while smaller ones can drive, you will likely be happier with a larger one (32" at least) for driving.

2. Do not get the first cute mini you see - they are all cute, so select as you would any other horse, using the same standards for conformation.

3. Be sure you have a safe place to keep your minis - safe fencing and not kept with big horses. Store your grain where they absolutely cannot get to it.

4. Get involved with 4-H!!! (check out the info on our website, link below). Join a club - a miniature club or a local driving club,

5. And if you do want a registered animal be sure the paperwork is up to date (seller is the owner of record) and that you get a properly signed transfer.

Enjoy your adventure!!!

I'm new to mini's, but I am going to give you my opinion anyway. If you are interested in driving, I'd suggest that you purchase an experienced, traffic safe driving mini that you can enjoy right away. I've had 14 year old Pepper for 2 months now and am thrilled to be able to safely drive him around the neighborhood. I'm looking forward to next summer having my 6 and 4 year old grandkids handle and groom him as well as drive him with them sitting right next to me.

Karen

Last edited by a moderator:
Determine what your ultimate goal is with the horses and what all they would be wanted for (showing, breeding, companionship). Research and buy what fits your needs and wants not just any cute minis you come across. If you are wanting to drive, it is great to start out with a proven and reliable trained driving horse. You can find them for reasonable prices if you look hard enough otherwise they do make a great investment rather than having to worry about a "green broke" horse. Conformation, temperament, and movement are of the most importance, if you want certain colored horses be sure they have what you want in conformation, temperament, and movement! Dont buy just color or just pedigree unless you are simply wanting to rescue or give some horses good homes. You can find many quality minis at pet prices right now so look around til you find exactly what you want. I agree with what others have said about treating them like full sized horses and can not stress that enough, they can and will hurt someone if they are not taught manners and respect, just because they are little does not make them any less of a horse in behavior. I may have more than five things here but o well....also good luck in your venture into the miniature horse breed and look forward to your future posts!

1. Treat them like a horse, if you wouldn't let a 1000lb horse do it, don't let them do it

2. They need all the same horse keeping as a full size horse.....yearly floats, worming, hoof care....

3. Protein, their protein needs tend to be a little higher than their larger counterparts ( often leads to bloated belly look if they do not have enough protein)

4. They are curious, more so than large horses.....be careful! large horse hears buzzing in ground and thinks I better get outta here, mini hears buzzing and decides to dig up the hornets nest to see if it can make new friends....

5. As stated, make sure what you buy suits your needs, whether it is showing, driving, or just to love on , make sure it is healthy, ask a vet for help!

I am appreciating the information as I, too, am new to minis. I have 4 other big horses, 2 Rocky Mountain Horses and 2 Missouri Foxtrotters. Fortunately Pepper has fine manners, but I have the same proper behavior expectations for him as I do for my big horses.

I am madly in love with him!!!!

Karen

You are already doing the number one thing......RESEARCH. Learn as much as you can before buying, ie. basic care, needs, and conformation. The latter is important if you intend to show.

Visit some miniature horse farms and be firm that you won't buy yet. But you will learn a lot - from them and their horses, both good and bad, if you visit enough of them. And I can bet you will return to one of them as a buyer if they "click" with you.

Join a regional mini horse club and if you plan to show, join the registry or registries (AMHA and/or AMHR), Attend one or more of their shows. Through a club you'll meet more mini horse owners/breeders to visit with and learn from and will also be informed of any shows in your area.

Look at buying a miniature horse as a long time commitment.......It may take some time, but enjoy the process so you can enjoy the exciting purchase of your first mini!

Yes! Yes! Anyone buying a registered horse, make sure the paperwork is in order! Don't trust anyone to say they will make it right later! Buying at an auction, make sure everything is there before the horse goes home. If one is not sure what papers are needed, the registries are SO helpful to answer questions.

1) Feed little and often and make water available.Keep their feed schedule as close to that of a naturally grazing animal as you can.

2) Don't rely on a visual to check for body condition - use your hands to feel their ribs and hips through that fluffy coat particularly in winter. You shouldn't be able to feel their ribs easily but you should be able to feel them with some pressure.

3) Keep their feet in good condition with regular cleaning and farrier care. Their feet are the same as any other horse but because they are so light in weight they don't self trim as well as a heavier horse will so good farrier care is more important than ever to keep their feet in proper shape with the angle matching the angle of their fetlock and the hoof itself open with a shallow concave sole and healthy frog.

4) Worming is very important to the health of a horse. Certain wormers do not work well for Minis and random worming doesn't work well for any horse. Fecal counts can tell you what you need to worm for.

5) If you only have one keep in mind that they are meant to be herd animals and need companionship. If there is not another animal available to provide that then you need to spend more time with them to keep them happy.

Congratulations on your new Mini! I think the two of you are going to really enjoy each other!

Welcome to the wonderful world of mini's. Excellent thread and so far excellent advise. Here is mine...sorry for any duplications...

1. Take your time when picking a mini

2. Find someone that you trust that is familiar with miniatures to help with your choices and such...this board is a great place for tons of info!

3. Never worm with Quest. I can't tell you how many big horse owners I have talked to that are un aware of this.

4. Read, visit, talk to, attend clinics any thing you can to learn about miniatures.

5. careful with grazing and feeding.

Carolyn R...LOL!!! This is sooooo true of my mini's too!!

4. They are curious, more so than large horses.....be careful! large horse hears buzzing in ground and thinks I better get outta here, mini hears buzzing and decides to dig up the hornets nest to see if it can make new friends....

1) Research - after you have written down your goals, research how best to get you to them. For instance, if you want a winning halter miniature - how far are you willing to go, top dog or somewhere in the pack.

2)Geldings have a lot to offer a new owner. Not only are they 'breeding' safe, they often can earn their keep by the multitude of incentive programs available to them through the registries. And often a gaggle of geldings can pay for their feed for the year.

3)Make sure you research the vets in your area, are they equipped to deal with 'the small furry ones'? Do they have the appropriate floats, portable xray machine and/or ultra sound. Can they convert meds into 'the small furry ones' doses?, etc.

4) Have a great farrier - not all farriers understand the small furry ones.

5)If your intent is to show - stop for six months and go watch actual shows first and pick your favorite things out and list your not so favorite things out, then figure out where to go from there. Don't take the first minis you see just because, goals should be kept in mind.

And - take an unbiased friend with you that is educated in the miniature horse - they can keep you from buying just anything!

Welcome!

These are Five Things I would tell a new mini owner:

• LB is a great resource for miniature horse owners, new and experienced
  • Do not deworm with "Quest" (active ingredient moxidectin) -- the dosing threshold is so much tighter than with other dewormers, and people have had minis die
  • DRIVE your horse -- do much fun!
  • Minis are addictive. If you start with just one, it won't be long until it has a companion
  • DO your research before breeding. Read the spring threads here about the tragedies... When you can buy the exact mini you want for not that much money, why try to make it unless you are serious about becoming a breeder. Lots of sleepless nights, and tears.

-Make sure that you feed your mini enough. New people get told "do not overfeed" and so sometimes their horse does not get enough to eat

I know...that's only one...I had more written up, and then realized that the other 4 things were actually for people who are just looking to buy their first mini....too late to give those words of advice to someone who already has their new Mini. Will have to write up my other 4 things later--got to run now!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and excellent advice! We do not have our mini(s) yet, currently in the preperation and planning phase, making sure everything at home is ready before we bring them home. We plan on keeping them on a dry lot with a run-in shelter set up - I am curious, what do you guys think of slow feeders for minis, feeding free choice hay year round? I would imagine it is dependant on the mini, but I do like to keep horses as natural to their grazing nature and digestive needs as possible. I will wait and see the individual needs of the specific horses we get but I don't plan to add grain to their diet unless/until they are in constistent work...is this advisable? They will of course have mineral blocks but I did see someone mention their protein needs...is there a good supplement for this?

How often do you generally go between farrier visits for minis? I have heard about Quest but know a lot of people who have not, so thank you again for that reminder. We have no intentions of showing, just looking for pleasure pets so most likely will be wanting to start with geldings, preferably at least one who is an experienced driving horse (we do plan on getting two). Would it be better to look for two geldings, or a mare and a gelding? Prefer not to have two mares, just a personal preference. And lastly, does anyone do clicker training with their mini(s)?

Thank you again for all the great answers, it has been very informative!!

Great advice here! Absolutely agree that miniature horses should be treated exactly the same as full size horses and yes, it is a long term commitment. There are vet bills, feed bills, farrier bills, etc. just like with full size horses. My farrier comes every 6 weeks to shoe the full size horses and trim the minis. I deworm every 2 months (no Quest) and also feed psyllium as I live in the So Cal desert area. There are many places where you can find minis, and I encourage you - if you are looking for minis for pets - to go to your local shelter or rescue group; there are many minis waiting for loving, caring homes!

Liz N.

Latest posts

Back