fitting harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
does anyone have a good photo that shows how to attach the belt that goes from flank to flank - I have a mini tracker leather harness NO. 74-6917 if that helps - trying to see if mine will fit my gelding now that I got the extender problem figured out ???
new_shocked.gif

Does this line go around the shaft of the cart - then you tighten it up so the strap around the flank stays in place ?

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you it helps a lot - but I do have another question - I was teaching my mini the right and left turns but found out that is wrong - the words I should be using is GEE and HA

now which is which ?

is the left turn gee or is it ha ?

I want to start training some before I do call a trainer so he will not be to clueless like me /lol

I don't know for sure, as I do not use the words. If I recall correctly, Gee is right, and Haw is left. I was told that the two words with the letter "g" are for the same side.

In our "neck-of-the-woods, the words Gee and haw, are only used in draft, not pleasure.

It's better to call a trainer first so both you and your horse do not have to unlearn bad habits! LOL. Seriously, the trainer expects you to be uneducated. If you knew how to do it yourself, you wouldn't need him or her.

That said, it does not matter what word you use. Gee and Haw are terms traditionally used with draft horses, people tend to give you odd looks for using them with a light horse hitch. ESPECIALLY a single horse. I use "Come left" and "get right," but really it's whatever comes out of my mouth at the time. The horse is listening to my hands on the reins and not to what I'm saying. He just knows that if I say something in that tone while we're turning, he's not turning sharply enough. Sometimes I even just say "Kody, swing it!" if we're running hazards at speed.

Ideally you are speaking quietly enough that only your horse hears you anyway, so it truly does not matter.

Leia

Latest posts

Back