Fitness program for my mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
I was wondering what to do with my mare to build muscle and keep her fit. Looking like a show horse (though she's not, but I may decide to show her sometime later). I take her for a mile jog once or twice a week, and I was lunging her for 20 minutes 2-3 times per week (10 minutes at walk and 10 minutes at trot).

Also, her back sticks up slightly, but I think it's just a lack of muscle, because she had fat deposits on her neck and rump, and her back was still sticking up. I've added some grain back into her diet since she's lost some weight (she was just on pasture.. still out 24/7, just added some grain back in)

And here are some pictures of her. I don't know wether her weight is good now, or if she's now a little too thin, or still a bit too fat

IMAG0672.jpg

IMAG0676.jpg

IMAG0677.jpg

IMAG0678.jpg

IMAG0679.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

IMAG0681.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

She doesn't need any weight on so I'd probably not give grain. The belly needs work so get some poles and put them down when your lunging her maybe even a small cross pole too. Everything else sounds fine
default_smile.png

Hi....I also need a fitness program for my boy! He is a bit on the chubby side...right now...with occasional driving. We both need some structure....and inspiration,to be more fit!

Its really hard to gage weight from pictures at times. How does she feel across her topline and are you able to feel ribs?

To me, from the pics that you have posted, I don't think she looks overweight. Where abouts are you based, if its ok I ask ? I always like my minis to carry a little extra weight going into winter, so if your about to head into the colder months , you don't want her to be on the thin side.

I agree with Rocklone , poles are a great way to build muscle. Another way Ive found is walking up and down hills. I have an embankment around my lake at home and I use this to go up and down it.

Cheers Ryan

I'm in the Midwest. So we do have really cold winters, but it shouldn't really start getting cold for another month or two. It's very hard to feel her ribs, but her back sticks up a bit (but it did when she was definitely overweight, too, with a cresty neck and a pronounced indent going down the middle of her rump, so I think that's just a lack of muscle).

Is it better to walk or trot up and down the hills? Or is a mix of both best?

Walking is harder work than trotting, which is why most horses will try to trot up a hill. Make them walk to really get those muscles working
default_smile.png
If the back still sticks up when shes more well conditioned its a topline issue not a weight problem, so hills and poles. Make sure her head is down working too, if she is like a giraffe it won't work.

Latest posts

Back