First time to Nationals--- Where to stay or where NOT to stay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetiki

Reaction score
I get to go out to Nationals --- Hubby is letting me go by myself I would like to know if everyone stays at the host hotel or if there are good places other than that one. Any suggestions?

We have LQ's in our trailer so we usually stay on the grounds, but one year when our trainer hauled the horses we stayed at the Best Western. It was a nice room, but lots of barking dogs and young people screaming and running around at all hours.

I'm all for camping... but not this trip lol
default_smile.png
that might happen if I ever get out there again
default_smile.png

I've stayed in a tack stall several times, but there is ALWAYS a horse nearby that loves to bang its water bucket against the stall all night long. The hotel on the grounds (Microtel) is probably fully booked. Just stay away from the hotels on the north side of town - lots of vandals & a really rough neighborhood. The ones south of the show grounds typically are better.

Tulsa Select and red roof inn usually have been good in the past. Reasonable priced

The tulsa select has some really bad recent reviews. I was worried about that one

We have stayed here http://www.econolodge.com/hotel-tulsa-oklahoma-OK081

The last 10 or so years. It's quiet and not too high priced. Never used it but it has an indoor pool.

I can google directions with st names if you're interested. But you go up a couple blocks on the st behind the grounds, hang a right at Tally's (where many go to eat) then it's a long straight shot to the motel. Yes it's about 5 miles total, but there's a WAFFLE HOUSE on the way that is SO tasty to eat at!

We stayed at the La Quinta last time, it was the airport one although it is not at the airport. Very nice but also a bit pricey although you may find some good deals online. We have reservations for the Wingate this time, it is well rated , hope it lives up to the rating. I usually like La Quinta because they take dogs but they do range quite a bit in what they are like, the one we stayed at was pretty updated.

We're at the Ramada on Skelly St. There are a lot of motels in that area. It's south and east of the grounds and is reasonable. I believe it has a pool, as if anyone has time for that, but it does have a nice breakfast bar included. Not very far away but you do need a car.

IMO, stay away from that hotel on the grounds. It's not the best nor the cleanest; not even very friendly and it's high priced. When you are looking add about 35% to the room price for the taxes. A $70 room will end up over $95 because of their taxes and fees.

Too bad you can't share with someone but I did alone last year (even rented a car) so it's totally doable! This year I have some family coming.

I got a decent deal through hotwire, with flight hotel and car although I picked the tulsa select for the hotel, I changed it after reading the reviews, I hit the wrong button....opps won't do that again... but changed it to the Extended Stay America- Midtown. Its right next to a whole bunch of other hotels, and not far from site. Gonna be fun
default_smile.png

I would NOT recommend the Tulsa Select. We stayed there last year and woke up next to a bed bug, then had HORRIBLE customer service in trying to reconcile the situation. Came home covered in bed bug bites and am still emotionally traumatized by the scenario and will be staying in our trailer this year ;)

thats what I was afraid of with that one, reviews were worse than just bed bugs though YUCK

My worst fear traveling these days is bed bugs... won't be staying there! We usually stay at the hotel on the grounds and no, it's not the nicest and it is expensive for what you get... but you can't beat the convenience. It's a trade off, depends on what is more important to you. Have stayed at the Red Roof in years past and wouldn't again - didn't feel very safe there, although there is an Outback and Applebees next door.

Jan

I'm with Jan. You can't beat the convenience of the on site hotel. Especially when my driving classes end after midnight!

We have stayed at the on site Motel for ever , they under went a rennovation a couple of years ago and it is much better , I have never had a dirty room , and since it changed from Micro Tel to Expo Inn , the new staff has always been very friendly ..

And I think they still have rooms as I got one for my son yesterday

Latest posts

Back