First time showing my horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaymom

Reaction score
Yesterday and Today will be memorable days in my life. I went to the Southern Confederation Show in West Monre, LA with my only two home grown babies. Saturday was the AMHR show and I showed PTM Enchanted Ebbie. Sunday, today, was AMHA and I showed PTM Celestial Copper.

Yesterday was a nightmare for me and Ebbie. I came late to this wanting to show. Ha! As you will see from pictures, not many good ones of Ebbie, the black appy, due to me getting so nervous my husband left the stands to come stand with me between entries. I started sweating horribly, then blood rushed into my face and neck, thought I was going to throw up and couldn't get my breath.

I made every classic newbie mistake with Ebbie while showing. She was taken from home to this arena and was terrified. Some people clapped in the stands and she flipped over onto her back. Never could get her to stretch her neck and could not leave her alone trying to set her up all the time. During reserve championship, I was so close to her head, that when I was trying to get her to stretch, a friend in stands said my jacket covered her head. (Oh Me) One judge told me I had a beautifull national caliber horse but she couldn't justify placing me up due to never being able to see the horse for me. (Poor Ebbie)

Today I woke up with my mind set to not be so serious. I went early and took Copper into the arena. I walked her around in the off area for quite awhile letting her get used to the noises and people.

Each time I went into the arena to show, I didn't bother with trying to set her up professionally. I placed her and left her alone. She loves these new treats I got and stretched nicely. I still sweated but was calmer and she was too. We made it to reserve also, but didn't place. But she did nicely against all the older horses.

Ebbie is a little over 4 months and Copper is 3 months and 2 weeks.

Ribbons: Ebbie....6 Firsts, 1 Sixth, 1 Fifth and 1 Second

Copper...5 Firsts, 3 Thirds and 1 Fourth

The Judges were the nicest people, especially one lady who gave me some wonderfull advise about showing and telling me I had two quality fillys.

Saturday my husband saw this lady down from us and told me she looked like she knew what she was doing, to ask her how to fix Ebbie up for her classes. Nicest lady...even got some hoof polish and painted my girls hoofs. While she was working on Ebbie I looked up at her door and guess what it said....Erica's Tiny Trotters. The lady was Ericas mother. Let me tell everyone what it meant to me for people of this caliber, to take the time to help a newbie. Thanks so much to Erica's mom and Erica.

No sooner got home and a friend called to say I had won $42.00. Can't beat that...Ha!

Below are some pics

EBBIEATSHOW1.jpg

EBBIE3.jpg

ebbie4.jpg

COPPER1.jpg

COPPER6.jpg

COPPER5.jpg

COPPER4.jpg

Thanks for letting me share

Congratulations on surviving your first show!

Your fillies are gorgeous and it sounds like they qualified for the Championship classes? that shows you did something right!

Aren't mini people nice????
default_yes.gif

I hope we get to meet you at a show some day

Charlotte

Ohhhhh I like Ebbie!!! She is the black appy right? Beautiful!!!! And I'm not big on appy's
default_rolleyes.gif
But she is "purdy"! I like leopards too.....hahaha maybe I do like appy's and just thought I didn't!

Great job at your first show
default_yes.gif
And thanks for sharing the pics
default_wink.png

Congratulations!!!
default_aktion033.gif
I enjoyed reading your post and your pictures of your beautiful horses!

That is so cool that Mrs. Killion helped you......she knows her stuff when it comes to grooming a horse for the ring.
default_yes.gif
Good job Erica's mom!

Keep up the good work...your on your way now!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Don't feel bad at all, one of my first shows, the judge came over to ask me if I was going to be ok. She said my face was so red they all thought I was going to pass out. I wasn't, but I did want to puke. But I got over it and did very well last year with my sr gelding. I have found that when learning to show, its better to have a very seasoned horse or a daughter that can train very well. I am blessed to have both.

Congratulations on your first show and you will soon be an old pro at it, and showing them all how its done.

And yes, Erica and her mother are wonderful people.

BIG CONGRATS PAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooooooo tickled you went out there and did it. You do have very nice babies. I think your pictures got moved, but I remember them from previous pictures I looked at.

Just keep going out there. That is the best medicine. Like we talked about before, the nerves and all the excitement is natural. It will get easier, I promise.

Again congrats on wonderful placings with your babies. For a first time in the arena and the great placings you got, you need to give your babies a hug and a pat on your back too :)

Again, I am so happy you pushed through the nerves and went out there and did such a wonderful job too.

default_saludando.gif

Tommy

Thanks to all the kind replies. Don't know what happened to the pics but will try again.

So glad to hear others have faced this and returned. Ha!

Sorry to say but due to age and grands unless they have more show locally I will have to wait to try again.

Ebbie

EBBIEATSHOW1-1.jpg

EBBIE3-1.jpg

ebbie4-1.jpg

Copper

COPPER1-1.jpg

COPPER4-1.jpg

COPPER5-1.jpg

COPPER6-1.jpg

Both of your fillies are very nice and from the pictures I would never pick you or them out as amateurs. It also sounds like by the second day you had already learned and improved. You should be very proud of yourself!
default_wub.png

I went to my first show last weekend! So I have my fair share of newbie show stories too! In my first driving class the ring announcer told me to reverse, so I stopped and was kind of confused when he told me it was the opposite of going forward...so what is the opposite of going forward...Backing up! I guess he realized his error and started telling me to go the opposite direction which I did and carried on showing...oh yes by the way this was all over the loud speaker and I was the only one in the ring (it was a beginners class) so everyone watching got a chuckle but luckily they were all super nice and told me it was a good first go! I was alot less nervous after that!

Congrats on a great first show!!!!

Cheers

Masako

Ciongratulations on getting up the nerve to get out there and do it!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Your fillies look great (and so do you!) and you should definitely be out there in the ring with them.
default_biggrin.png

Miniature horse people are just the best!
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

default_aktion033.gif
You go girl
default_aktion033.gif
Your horses are beautiful and you look good with them, if you hadn't told us it was your first time in the ring I wouldn't have known from the pics. Congratulations.

Yvonne

Well I just had to say that I was there at the show for a few hours on Saturday, observing ...I have not yet gone into the show ring. I saw you and your app filly and remember commenting on how nice I thought she was! As far as all the other things you described happening ... I never saw anything like that and I not only envy you but give you alot of credit for getting out there and just doing it!

I also agree about miniature horse folks and how great they are! Erica had her hands full but I went out of my way to make sure I said "hello" to her. The judges really seemed helpful and informative. Each time I leave a show I feel a little bit closer to being able to get in there myself. Great job!

Congratulations on such a good show
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Your horses are beautiful
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

You sure met some of the best out there with Erica and her family! They are the nicest people
love0075.gif

Sundaymom, ( sorry , I cant remember your name) So glad you did well, and went back today and gave it your all again. I was very happy to help you and your husband out. You know thats what its all about. I know Erica would not be where she is today without the help of others willing to help her with what they knew. Always ask questions, and hopefully people will be willing to give you advise. Mini people , are some of the greatest. Good Luck and hang in there, you have alot to be proud of. Your hard work will pay off. By the way, we really thought your dark filly was nice.
default_yes.gif

Good Luck,

Linda Killion

Ericas tiny trotters.

WOW...I am really overwhelmed with the nice comments.

You know when I got home I was so excited I couldn't wait to share the news. After napping I really should mention some other people.

The lady that handled the gate Pam Ford was so special also. She went way out of her way to inspire and assist me. She even would find me and get me to the gate. Ha!

One thing that happened I should mention is as I was entering the 1st show for AMHA a lady behind me said..."Your not supposed to wear a short sleved jacket". Horrors...I told Pam and she said I'll fix that and went to Kim Wright the Ring Master and Kim took her jacket ( while announcing) off and gave it to me. Later Pam asked the judges and they said it was fine for me to wear my own jacket. Why you see in one class I have a blue long sleved jacket and then later in other classes a beige short sleeve. Can you believe the extra mile these women took for someone they didn't know.

I don't know the Judges name but in the pictures the tall attractive blond went the extra mile also. After the classes she would come over and tell me what I needed to know in order to be better the next time.

There were also several other folks that came up to say nice things that I never got there names.

I really will always remember this show and all the wonderfull people that crossed my path.

I

Good job! Congrats!! I know several people that have gotten out there for the first time this year, this must be the year for greatness! 'Be Great in '08!'
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Yay
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
, Congrats on your 1st weekend of shows!! You look great in the photos and Ill bet u looked a LOT calmer and more experienced to everyone than you thought you did. Your fillies look wonderful. Good Job!!
default_biggrin.png

I think you and your fillies look wonderful! Nice little appy fillies btw.

Great job and keep up the good work. I remember my first few shows as well, and not so "easy" either, in fact they are still not. I get "stage freight" too.

Beth

Congratulations on your placings! Sounds like you had a wondeful show. It'll only get easier from here on out.
default_aktion033.gif

Erica & her mom are awesome.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back