First time horse owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponylove

Reaction score
Hi All!

Today I put a deposit on my very first mini horse!! He is a colt and ready to come home mid summer. I am so excited as this has been a dream ever since I was a little girl! My husband and I will be boarding our mini at a local horse stable. As a teenager I went to a mini horse farm and the owners were kind of enough to show me the ropes and teach me how to harness and drive a mini. Ever since I’ve been drawn to minis and I’m so lucky to be able to have one of my own.

I am looking for any and all suggestions and advice on this new adventure. I’ve never trained a miniature horse before but I am determined to learn all I can before he comes home.

I am a little nervous about this but I am also incredibly excited.

Advice/suggestions for this first time horse owner?

Welcome @Ponylove. I do not have the knowledge to share, but I would suggest until the knowledgeable members have a chance to post information, that you read many of the older posts. They contain a wealth of information that can be of use for you with your new ponies.

It is a little overwhelming to answer. My first thought would be to be sure you have a good farrier and a vet who understands and can work on miniature horse teeth.
And remember he is a horse, not a dog or a human. As a little stallion, he will be just like his big horse relatives in attitude and biology.
It is difficult to know what books, etc to recommend. I am personally not a fan of "cowboy" training techniques. Not sure what kind of riding is done at the stable where you plan to board, but listen to advice then think about whether it is right for you and your horse.
You and your horse will learn from each other. Keep us posted on his arrival, please!
I did not get my first horse until I was 48! He was a 5 year old, unhandled stallion. Now he is almost 23 years old. We have been through a lot together. Other horses come and go out of my corral, but my avatar horse stays.

Welcome @Ponylove

I’m just a want to have a mini person, so I am very happy for you. I’ll be reading of how you and your new mini bond and grow together.

Back