First mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamamama

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've run across a yearling whose owner states has been handled daily. Would it be wise to purchase this little guy as my first mini? I owned full size horses for about 2 years in the past.

Is he close enough you can go visit and see if you get along, and if his manners are good with you (sometimes they do well with their owners, and those they see regularly, but are difficult with strangers). [Many will test a new person, but that is different than holes in the training.]

Since you have past horse experience, if this little guy has been regularly handled and has some manners he might be a good first mini for you. If you plan on driving remember that it will be a few years before you can hook him, but you would have plenty of ‘prep time’ to do ground work and ground driving. I personally really enjoy that training time :) I would love to get another youngster to bring along and train some day. My Coady was 3 and green broke to drive when I got him. I wanted something that I could drive right away so he was a good choice, but my little girl I got as a weanling and did all of her training myself. I was just a kid and made plenty of mistakes, but thankfully Shasta knew what we were doing when I didn’t! She was a great little driving horse until she became burdened with health problems and had to be retired.

If you don’t plan to drive the age isn’t as much of a factor. Either way your experience with horses will be a big factor. Bringing along a youngster can be a hair raising experience. If you have horse people in your area they can be great encouragement and support. The little guy’s personality will help you decide too. Some horses naturally have a more chill personality and are much easier to work with. Then you have little spitfires like my guy :p I love that kind of personality though...he challenges me and I enjoy that. You will have to decide what works for you. If you have any friends with horse experience I would recommend taking them with you to see him before any decisions are made and of course a prepurchase exam from a vet. As difficult as it is, use your head instead of your heart once you meet the cute little fella...there a plenty of nice little minis out there if he isn’t the one ;) It would be better to start your ‘mini journey’ with a horse that you can enjoy the journey with rather than one that makes you regret getting into minis in the first place.

Since you have past horse experience, if this little guy has been regularly handled and has some manners he might be a good first mini for you. If you plan on driving remember that it will be a few years before you can hook him, but you would have plenty of ‘prep time’ to do ground work and ground driving. I personally really enjoy that training time :) I would love to get another youngster to bring along and train some day. My Coady was 3 and green broke to drive when I got him. I wanted something that I could drive right away so he was a good choice, but my little girl I got as a weanling and did all of her training myself. I was just a kid and made plenty of mistakes, but thankfully Shasta knew what we were doing when I didn’t! She was a great little driving horse until she became burdened with health problems and had to be retired.

If you don’t plan to drive the age isn’t as much of a factor. Either way your experience with horses will be a big factor. Bringing along a youngster can be a hair raising experience. If you have horse people in your area they can be great encouragement and support. The little guy’s personality will help you decide too. Some horses naturally have a more chill personality and are much easier to work with. Then you have little spitfires like my guy :p I love that kind of personality though...he challenges me and I enjoy that. You will have to decide what works for you. If you have any friends with horse experience I would recommend taking them with you to see him before any decisions are made and of course a prepurchase exam from a vet. As difficult as it is, use your head instead of your heart once you meet the cute little fella...there a plenty of nice little minis out there if he isn’t the one ;) It would be better to start your ‘mini journey’ with a horse that you can enjoy the journey with rather than one that makes you regret getting into minis in the first place.

That's great information. I would like to use him as a therapy horse provided he has the temperament for it. I have no experience with youngsters and would have to rely on internet information. We have no contacts in the horse world locally. The owner says he is chill but loves attention. She calls him a lap pony. Could this be a problem?

Latest posts

Back