First i lose the pony..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calekio

Reaction score
I feel so so guilty!

Got down the yard this morning to find my stallion has gone threw 2 fences and gotten in with my geldings... so he lives with them in winter when away from the mares... but he don't get on with them during covering season....

After dragging him out and locking him back into another field, go and check my 2 geldings were are huddled at the end of the field... one has a few little cuts but they both seem ok except a bit scared as expect... i then look round to check my other gelding.... but where is he? Intially i thought he was either behind the other 2 geldings or behind the trailer hiding... but when i got down there he is no where to be found, i quickly look round the field but not many places for him to hind. I then look around outside the field... in the neighbouring gardens... down along the army ditch.... by this point with no sight of him i'm beginning to panick... where on earth is my little gelding!

So i panicked call yard owner for help, they both come out looking around... an hour goes past still can't find him, searched all the fields, neighbouring garden on the yard, can't get out of the gardens, search down the ditches and wander the length of them out onto the quiet lane, over by the caravan site and neighbouring houses...... by this point i'm really panicked! YO phoned the army place asking them if they can check through the cctv footage from last night to see if anyone has walked off with him....

As i come back from the front of the yard i'm being called.... he's been found.... he's stuck though...

Well what we think has happened is the stallion has chased him into a corner, pinned him againest a small fence that just stops then getting to the rubbish behind the barn... he's jumped the fence and stright away hit this rubbish, pinning him in place.... leaving the stable to them bite at him over the fence... He's pushed right into the rubbish to get out of reach and been able to move.... both in shock and pain, can't turn round and can't get out...

We manage to get him out, and i've clipped his wounds, cleaned them and put something on them. Poor little mite, he's really torn up either side of his belly, top of one hind leg and one ear, with lots of open but superficial cuts and lots of swelling and heat.... given him some pain relief and after making sure he was ok, eating, drinking peeing and pooing i've left him to recover in a stable.

I feel so bloody guilty.. i'm normally really hot on making sure my stallion can't get out... but i've been really ill last few days so not 100% and he's discovered a weakness in the fence and taken it out... then just walking through the electric to get to the boys.... first time i've been well enough to go down in the morning so i can't even begin to imagine the panick of my yard owner finding the situation as she's been doing the horses for me am.

I've moved the gelding so they are safe now out of his reach whilst i try to fix the fence, but doesn't change my poor little gelding who gotta beaten up.... i know it could have been a lot worse and thankfully my stallion isn't one who goes to the death or else it could have been a lot worse! Just feel so bloody guilty that i hadn't spotted the weakened fence and could have most likely avoided this.. i had actually thought of bringing the geldings in last night but as weather was dry i left them out... another thing that would have avoided this!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

My poor little chap's battle scars..

P4030005.jpg

P4030001.jpg

P4030003.jpg

P4030007.jpg

P4030004.jpg

That poor little guy! One of those wounds looks pretty bad. I hope he will heal ok. Give him a hug from me.

What a sin! I hate what they will do to each other.
default_no.gif
:DOH!

A similar thing happened years ago with my riding horse getting at my wee driving pony. That poor pony was so bit up that his whole side became a scab and pealed off in time, hair and all...he had to grow a complete side of hair on both sides. I hope that your chap's doesn't go to that extreme, but it looks possible.

Well of all the cuts he's got i think only about 2 or 3 are what i would call a little bit deep.... about half a cm... i'm treating them with stuff that heals from the inside out and puts a protect seal over the wound... great stuff but does sting when it goes on, he is a such an angel and despite it obviously being sore he lets me treat him all over, the swelling on his side is what i worrying me more than anything else a its about fist size... very hot and obviously painful... seeing vet tomorrow so if he's not looking better will get him check... poor little boy is my rescue pony so last thing he needs
default_no.gif

like friend said though... good think he isn't a panicky pony... as he was well and truly wedged in and if he'd of panicked i dread to think what would have happened!

Hopefully he'll be feeling a bit better now as he's had a high dose of painkillers/anti-inflammatory.

All i want to do now though is get too bricks and go visit my stallion...... lol... that sounds a bit cruel doesn't it...
default_rolleyes.gif
But he ain't got a scratch on him so poor little lad didn't even put up a fight.... (which isn't a surprise as Splash is a lover not a fight....)

Hi

I think if he were my horse I would call the vet. I have had some stallion fights (not lately) and vets recomment tetnus (the short term fast acting one - forget the name just now) and PCN. Those sores can get infected pretty quickly. My vet tells me to leave them open so they drain and don't heal from the inside first (causing more problems).

Best of luck to the little fella, so sorry this happened to him. Those are pretty bad bites.

Beth

Poor little guy, glad it wasn't any worse for him.

Beth - My vets don't tend to do extra tetanus jab if they are already cover... as all mine are vaccinated for tetanus.

At the moment i didn't want to stress him any more with vets... (and only vet i could get is kinda rubbish!) i'm seeing a vet tomorrow so if i'm not happy with him i can easily walk him over with my mare tomorrow, and the vet who is very good anyway.

well glad to say he looking loads better tonight... got that sparkle in his eye again and happy to go out again for a few hours with his mates far away from that nasty stallion...

Obviously he's still sore but i do think the painkillers helped him.... we at vet tomorrow so if i still not happy (mainly that swelling on his side i don't like....) then i'm going to take him to get him checked out...

Must admit... never panicked so much in my life when i couldn't find him... the thoughts that were going though my head at the time.... i mean he might not be the real show stopper.... he's a bit of a 'reject' pony.... but love him to bit hence he won't leave our yard.... and being so friendly.... we've had attempted thefts before at previous yard where ponies be found in other fields safe and sound but very spooked... only lost them once and like today found them safe and sound. The onlything i worry about with minis due there nickable size!

Update on the little guy.

He is improving... the swellings are going down and although still cut up none of them going funny.... still on painkillers/anti-imflamotories as obviously still sore, but he is being such a trooper for having them cleaned etc

I always excersize my stud with my mares so he has some company even though he shares a fence with them. The other night someone came in and put two of my mares in the stud pen and the stud in with the one mare I don't want bred at this point. I think all is well because she was kicking the snot out of him. Why can't other people just keep their hands off of others things and animals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its terrible isn't it!

I've had ponies moved from fields.... i once had an elderly stallion who was on his own for a few days whilst i figured out who to put him with... we someone came along and thought i was mean putting him on his own so put him out with my young stallion and his geldings..... well... my young stallion didn't take kindly to this and nearly ripped the elderly boys bottom lip off in a fight....

He then had to be on his own even longer to heal.... he was ok in the end but i was fumming...... as i was just sorting out making sure he was bug free and which calm pony he'd be better off going in with!

Latest posts

Back