First horse- arriving Friday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponylove

Reaction score
Hello all! My first ever horse, a mini named Max is arriving on Friday. We will be boarding him at my best friends stable she works at - we are so excited!

The trip is about 3-4 hours ... once he gets to the barn - do you usually just put them in their stall and let them settle? I would like to walk him around the property and spend time grooming him. He is 4 months old.

He is on Nutrena triumph 12% sweet feed.. what do you all feed your minis? We are going out to get a bag of this soon so that he is on the same food when he arrives.

I can hardly wait - I’ve waited for this moment for 20 years! Attached is a picture of my Max

Attachments

• 96F71D0F-0F88-4DB9-8B0F-AECB3D616306.jpeg
    96F71D0F-0F88-4DB9-8B0F-AECB3D616306.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
At 4 months, he should be on a growth formula to help ensure proper growth, senior feed can also be used. Perhaps you can get a few days worth of his current feed from the seller, so you can slowly switch him over.

How exciting! Being newly weaned, he will likely be stressed. Certainly plan to spend time with him when he arrives, but he might be more comfortable in the stall instead of walking around among strange horses. You might bring in a chair and just spend time talking to/handling him for the first day.
I would ask the seller to send some of his feed for a few days but would not recommend sweet feed. Generally, it is floor sweepings with molasses to bind it. And too much corn, which is not very digestible. Chandab is very experienced; I would go with her suggestion. Also, free choice good quality hay and plenty of fresh water.
Do ask the seller for his worming schedule and other records. If he is registered, make sure all the paper work is in order.
Max is absolutely darling! Congratulations! We look forward to seeing more of him and hearing of your adventures.

Congratulations! Max is adorable. I agree with Marsha. The colt will be tired, anxious, and over stimulated after his move. Spending quiet time in his stall will be a bonding experience for you both. It will allow him to safely settle in. I would feel around the inside of his stall for any sharp nails, or splinters. Horses always find creative ways to injure themselves. Enjoy!

Oh my goodness! If that isn't the cutest little guy ever!!!

I agree with getting him on a mare/foal feed. These guys need it to build the muscle that will give them strong straight limbs. You can quickly run into problems with crooked legs if the foal doesn't have proper nutrition. I've had awesome results with the Nutrena SafeChoice Mare and Foal feed. But a pelleted feed for foals is (IMO) going to be much better for the little guy than a sweet feed at this point.

Congrats on your handsome little guy. You're going to have a ton of fun with him.

Latest posts

Back