First freeze

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, they gorged for a while then moseyed off to graze. Then it was time for a siesta in the sunshine. I wonder if anyone has ever tested the sugar content of mulberry leaves? Mine enjoy them green, as well as fallen.

I'm in south eastern North Carolina. On my particular place, we had our first light frost on 22 October. We've had a couple of more since. The first one that required window scraping was this past weekend.

I'm trying to move as quickly as I can and finish the corner of the barn that will be a chicken coop. I don't much like seeing my critters cold!

We went from +10 and rain to -5 with a -18 windchill the same day. The minis are not amused.

Dapper dan's coat is almost pelt-like. He never seems to mind the weather. Nugget's hair is silky. He is not amused by winter, either. i am going to keep an eye on him. if he doesn't adjust he will have to wear a blanket. he seems okay with snow, but cold rain makes him shiver. so I ask him why he doesn't stay under the shelter when it is raining and eat hay instead of standing in the rain in the pasture?

It is interesting about their coat differences. Cappy and Peanut are opposites, too. Cappy has a coat like a!bear but Peanut has almost no coat and has to wear a blanket. I am glad to know that Peanut is not alone, I was a little worried about his lack of coat because most minis I've seen are like wooly mammoths. This year he is particularly fine coated. He loves his blanket and dives into it. If it is below 35 or so, he is cold without a cover.

i am in south carolina and we have had only a slight frost. Charlie has a blanket on, he has enough hair but loves his blanky. Daisy on the other hand had the wooly mammoth coat and hates a blanket.

Latest posts

Back