FIRST FOAL OF THE YEAR!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loess Hills

Reaction score
Sioux City, Iowa - on the Lewis & Clark Trail
Our first foal of the year, Loess Hills Aces High Roller, or "Roller" (AMHA/AMHR reg. pending) was born at 11:15 a.m. at 325 days gestation by his dam! We thought it was quite considerate of his mother to wait for a convenient time (no late nights stumbling out to the barn in the dark) Whoo-hoo!

Textbook delivery, he was up nursing by 1:00 p.m. and got to spend a little time outdoors the following day. Still chilly here so he's wrapped up!. (Thank you, Laura of Love U Designs for the perfectly fitted darling little blanket).

We measured him at 19", and for the first time weighted him just to get an idea of what an average weight would be. It was 25 pounds!

After all solid-colored foals last year, we're just delighted to have some color and pattern. Horse genetics are so fascinating. I'd used the Color Calculator on the Animal Genetics website to try to determine what color he'd be. They certainly didn't predict a pinto! And I'm uncertain as to what color he actually is. Got to get some pictures in the sun later this week. I think he's a silver smoky black, but time will tell. Color suggestions are welcome!

You just never know or can predict what two individuals will produce. Dam is a solid red roan, comes from two solid parents. Sire is a solid black with star and four white socks.......he comes from a long background of black and black pinto ancestors, and little Roller is almost all white, with color splotches and ink spot on his withers. Last year the same sire and dam produced what AMHA registered as a solid palomino. The genetic gene pool really mixed together to create some interesting heritage in producing him.

We're relieved and estatic that both dam and foal are healthy and doing well!

roller3dy2.jpg

rollervideood6.jpg

dsc00018de4.jpg

Congratulations on your very cute and colorful foal!! I would be happy with one that looked (and moved) like that! I have no idea what color he is, but would guess the pinto came from his sire.

Rose, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good looking boy!!!

Congratulations on a good looking little guy.

Hi, Stephanie!

Roller is out of Hobby Knolls Nellie Image, she has deep Bond and Komoko breeding. We're waiting on Bobbi! She is scheduled for late May/June. Can't wait to see she'll have!

Hi, Stephanie!

Roller is out of Hobby Knolls Nellie Image, she has deep Bond and Komoko breeding. We're waiting on Bobbi! She is scheduled for late May/June. Can't wait to see she'll have!

Latest posts

Back