First Ever AMHR Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RescueMini

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm going to my first ever AMHR show this weekend with my mare. It is just a one day show and it just has a few performance classes, so I figured it would be a great one for me to get started with.

I have a lot of show experience with AQHA and local open shows for both minis and large horses, but I am unfamiliar with the miniature horse breed show world.

Is there anything that I need to know before I go?

All of my entry forms, membership cards, registration paper copies, coggins test, ect, are already turned in. Do I need to bring anything else to the show, or any additional copies?

I don't have her measuring card yet, and this show will be my first time getting her measured for AMHR. What exactly is the process? I'm still slightly confused by it.

Otherwise, is there any special attire for hunter, jumper, and obstacle? I've read the rule book several times, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. I'm assuming its basically the same as the open shows, which usually follow AMHR rules.

I'm super excited to meet new people and to see what Lulu and I learn. Hopefully this is the start of a whole new adventure for us!

Thanks in advance for your help!

You will need to know how to show! Its not like showing a QH or any other breed. If you don't have a mentor handy, go to youtube and in the search box put AMHR or AMHR horse shows, miniature horse shows, etc. try all combinations and study, study, study them. Have a great time and best wishes to you.

Thanks Marty! I will defintely be looking at YouTube for some more videos to watch and study to make sure that we have been practicing everything correctly. I have taken her to several larger open miniature horse shows over the years, but I imagine there is a difference between the breed and open shows with minis, just like how there is one with the breed and open shows with the quarter horses.

I don't have any experience with showing but Have fun ..Enjoy and Good Luck

Do take another copy of your papers--they will expect you to have them when you go to measure (they do not have to pull out the ones you sent in with your entries--you are supposed to have a set with you). I don't get that at all but that's the way it works.

Are you just doing performance?

Make sure you have a nice leather performance halter and leather lead. Some horses need a chain so if you need that make sure you have one. Many people will do a running braid for the mane and braid the tail hunter style for hunter/jumper so if you know how to do this go ahead, but if it will only add extra stress don't worry about it.

I know it doesn't matter as much but is your horse clipped? Hooves polished?

For measuring (I'm not 100% sure) but you go to a certain area where you stand your horse up on flat ground and the steward measures your horse and I believe you will get an official card with the measurement. I think you have 3 chances to measure up if you are trying to fit into a certain height class.

I don't know if they do this with QH but with obstacle the ring steward or helper will walk you through the pattern and will tell you what is expected at each and you can ask any questions then. (I'm not sure if all shows do this but all the rated shows I've been to do).

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to the Enchanted Hollow Performance show at the Sanseveres?

We'll be there! That will be a great first show for you!

For hunter and jumper standard show attire is black dress pants and a coat (can be anywhere from a western style showmanship jacket, rail shirt, or a dressy pantsuit jacket and a blouse) Same thing for obstacle.

Remember in AMHR Hunter is judged on form over fences, evenness and cadence of gait (so if you start the course at a trot, try to maintain a trot), and of course faults. Think about it being almost like showmanship, just over fences. Also you will have a soundness check after everyone goes, where all the exhibitors will trot their horse by the judges to make sure they are still sound after the course.

In AMHR jumper all that matters is clear rounds and fast times, it doesn't have to be pretty. So everyone will jump first and those who go clear (no knocked rails or refusals) will have a jump off. A jump off is timed, so you have to balance going fast with going clear. The horse with the least faults (or no faults) and the fastest time in the jump off wins. The big key here is you have to be steady and jump the first round clear, then worry about speed for the second round. Attire is not very important here, most exhibitors will show in whatever they wore for hunter or in a nice short sleeve shirt.

Do bring an extra copy of your horse's registration papers and coggins test. You will need to see the steward and get him measured in before the show starts.

If you're going to the Enchanted Hollow Show feel free to look us up if you have any questions!

Chelsie Kohns Sievers (CK Miniature Horses)

Ckmini, yes, that is the show I am going to.
default_smile.png

Thank you so much for your help everyone!

I clipped her bridle path, whiskers, and fetlock hairs. She is shedding out nicely, but it is just too cold for me to full body clip her right now. So far the trailer is packed and ready to go for the morning, and I just have to print out a copy of her papers. I'm guessing I should bring a copy of my membership cards, as well? As for halters, I have a leather showmanship halter that has a little bit of silver on it. Is that acceptable for hunter and obstacle? Otherwise I have a nice nylon one that I keep clean and usually use for liberty and jumper at the open shows.

Oh! At QH I usually put my hair in a low, tight bun. Should I do the same for this show? I usually just left it in a pony tail for the open mini shows. Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to be well prepared.

good luck to you.SOmeday I want to play with showing. I am not much of an exhibiter type:>) Maybe you can go this time with the intention of just looking, practicing and learning. I think it would be much more fun to get your feet a lil wet with no high expectations.

It soundslike you have yourbases covered well, have educated yourself and are well prepared. Have fun andlet us know how much funi t was ! it will be encourageent for me and maybne some others:>)

Hi everyone!

Although it was barely 40 degrees Fahrenheit out and drizzling most of the day, the show was a blast! We ended up staying indoors the entire time, and the judges said that casual attire (winter coats, ect) was allowed because of the cold. Lulu did great! We got 3rd and 5th in youth hunter under, 1st and 3rd in open hunter under, 3rd in youth jumper under, 1st and 2nd in youth halter obstacle under, and 2nd in open halter obstacle under. I have to say that I think I am quite hooked on the breed shows now!

Thank you for all of your tips and help!

Latest posts

Back