First Charlene's hummingbird......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Bottom Ranch

Reaction score
I think my grosbeaks have been talking to Charlene's hummingbird!
default_new_rofl.gif
In all the years we've fed the birds, I have never seen a grosbeak eating grape jelly before! All of their seed feeders are full, but they have suddenly developed a taste for the orioles grape jelly. At first we thought maybe they were eating bugs that had gotten stuck in the sticky stuff, but I don't think that's the case at all after watching the way they eat.

Sorry for the poor quality, the pics were taken through the patio door screen.

Pictures014.jpg

Pictures016.jpg

Pictures017.jpg

This it totally unfair...I put out grape jelly and all I got was a bunch of bees!!!

Thanks for sharing...really, I love seeing pictures of them!

This it totally unfair...I put out grape jelly and all I got was a bunch of bees!!!
Thanks for sharing...really, I love seeing pictures of them!
Charley...don't feel so bad....I put out nectar for the Hummers and all I get are wasps and ants!
default_wacko.png

That little red breasted bird is so colorful! Nice pics!!

how cool!!!!! we still have grosbeaks around here and it's highly unusual. normally, they are gone by now but i am seeing them every day. they haven't found the jelly yet but there are a couple of male indigo buntings still here and THEY found it. still have quite a few orioles here and they are so fun to watch when they bring fledglings to the yard...the female takes a beakful of grape jelly, hops on top of the feeder pole and feeds her young.

geri, it looks like the dad grosbeak showed his son where to find the good stuff. that's a juvenile male you have, great find!

sterling, you can keep ants away from your hummie feeders if you smear a little blob of vaseline on the wire hanger part, close to the top of the feeder. not much you can do about the bees, i'm having the same problem this year. i'm seeing more honey bees than i've ever seen before!

Here are some other bird pics I've gotten the last few months.

This first one I got in early spring when the orioles and grosbeaks returned. It was exciting to see so much color after such a long winter. I called this one "Sunday Morning Colorvision!"
default_biggrin.png

Pictures107q.jpg

This poor little momma oriole actually hit the patio door, and was a little dazed. She was ok though, and flew back to the woods shortly after I took this picture. I'd never seen one this close up before.

Pictures069x.jpg

I snapped this one day while sitting out on the patio enjoying the sights and sounds. I thought the little saying I put on the pic was appropriate!
default_new_rofl.gif

Pictures019-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back