First born, first clip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne ABC

Reaction score
Rony4.jpg

This boy is our first born foal for 2008 and he got his first haircut this week. Before being clipped he was a rich bright sorrel or chestnut.

Now can't really decide what color he is! Think he will be bright again one day? or will he be more of a dark brownish red? Any ideas?

His sire is palomino and his dam grey pinto.

What a cutie!! Hes still sorrell and will brighten up as his coat comes back. The first clip always makes the colors look really bad even on bays. Usually by the 2nd and 3rd clip the color stays better.

He's a handsome boy!

I agree with Kay. His bright color will return. Probably in a couple weeks this time of year
default_yes.gif

What I've found is that it doesn't have to do with the number of clips, but the season. Deeper into the summer, my "first clips" are pretty color rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments.

I have another question. I am showing a blood bay that I constantly have a problem with colorwise, just drives me crazy :DOH! .

He is out of LK's Buckeroo Buccarra and he is a good blood bay color until I clip him.

So the last time I was getting him ready for a show I clipped him two weeks in advance but, then at showtime he had what I call red "guard hairs" sticking out everywhere so I had to clip him again and then he had no color. What is the best way to handle clipping him?

If I don't clip him he is a beautiful red and he is shiney and looks good to me but he does not have that slick shaved look and are the judges going to be happy
default_no.gif
?

I think mini judges long ago got used to seeing dark brown bays and beige chestnuts, especially in spring time. You and I may prefer their unclipped color but the judges definitely want to see them clipped!

Jill and Kay are both right- the later in the season it is, the better their color will be regardless of how many times you've clipped and the more you clip early in the season the better their color starts to come back in. Last year was my first year of owning my own Double K's and I was surprised how much faster his color came back with more clipping. I had to allow a month after the Oster clippers I was renting and only a week after a clip with the Double K's.

You've got a very nice little chestnut there!

Leia

Back