first appy foal color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the hawk
default_smile.png
that is so cool it does look like one in flight .
default_smile.png

If you look at the picture you can see two different hawks depending on how you look .

The first one I saw was one in flight. Then I looked again and I saw the one sitting with its head turned twords the tail.

How fun ..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Katielou your boy is not "grey" that is a common misnomer in Appies. He is Varnish- it has a similar effect to Roan but it is an Appy pattern. If he was Grey he would not show his spots- they would all disappear with the Greying out as it progresses. The blanket on the rump is called that- a blanket. When it is a "snowcap" it means there are no spots evident and the animal is homozygous for the spotted pattern.

This is the end of your PBS -normal Forum business will now be resumed.
default_yes.gif

TP your foal is at present a Blanket pattern, but my boy, whose picture I put up, was born with just three small white spots in a bay coat- Appy patterns are usually "progressive"

Ok so a near leopard has some spots but not like a loud who has tons of spots am I correct?

thanks for the info! now if I was to have him color tested what do you think would come back. mother is a bay pinto tab. sire is what was called a few spot parents are leopard and mom is snowcap

Great Info, Rabbitsfizz! Any ideas what a flame blanket is? That's what is listed on his papers and it has me scratching my head.

TP, there is a horse coat calculator on the web but I don't think they've broken down the appaloosa into actual groups yet.
default_sad.png

He appears to be a bay with blanket and spots at this time to me.... varnish usually shows up later with age, if he is going to do that.

In over 40 years of having Appaloosas of various sizes I have never heard of a 'flame' blanket, so am unsure what that means or where that phrase was even created.

Hard to see what is hiding under the fuzz... when I get home and have access to pics, I will show you what was hiding under my colts fuzz

Well whatever he becomes he is a Blanket at present, as I said, Appies tend to be progressive in pattern. "flame" blanket is a description not a pattern, I am not sure why it was accepted on his papers.

Here is my colt before he was clipped, showing a blanket and spots. This is at a few hours old. Then after he was clipped this spring - bigger blanket and you can see he has spots all the way to his head. He actually has spots on his head too but they are harder to see with his coloration. This was always there, as you could see it 'under the baby fuzz' but just didnt show til the longer hair was removed.

AColt 6 27 first day D.jpg

AColt 6 30C.jpg

MP Art D March 2013 d.jpg

MP Art F March 2013 f.jpg

Well, those pics came out rather small so dont know if you can see the spots on his neck too... Here is my current colt just born last month. He has a TON of white in his face, on his shoulders, etc.. that is again hiding under the fuzzy foal coat. I will be posting pics in a couple of weeks when this boy gets his first clip to show the difference. There is MUCH more hiding under his baby coat.

Colts blanket.jpg

IMG_1196 s.jpg

Latest posts

Back