first appy foal color help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok my mare had her foal yesterday. As I know he is an appy can you tell me what color you think he will be? Are these true spots I see or no? Might he be a leapord thanks sire is a few spot appy (sire loud leapord x dam snowcap) dam is pinto

darn havent been on for awhile and forgot how to post photos
default_sad.png

I think its changed since I last used the forum lol. been busy with my dogs and optical business.

DSC_0526-1sm.jpg

Colour is Bay, that is his base colour. Pattern is at present Blanket but it looks to me as if he will varnish out quite quickly. He may end up as a near Leopard....

Sorry- I always do this- very pretty foal, congratulations, well done little mare, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
beautiful foal congratulations , I can see he is a bay with a blanket , I had one born with the same amount of spots and she went near leopard

Yes, DC was born like this, but he is taking a LONG time to varnish out- five years old and still basically bay extended blanket + varnish!!
DCandotheranimals020.jpg

What a nice colt!! I hope you add "Hawk" in his name as I see a benevalent hawk on his hindquarters!

so for sure you think he will have spots? I wasn't sure if it was spots or just coloring throught the white

Ooo! Interesting topic! I bought my first AMHR colt a couple of weeks ago from a friend that had been planning to show him but then decided she didn't have time with her Arabians. I remember seeing pictures right after she bought him and he was marked very similar to your colt. My colt's sire is a Heterozygous Grey Leopard Appaloosa and when he was born he looked like a chestnut snowcap. His breeder registered him as a Red Roan Flame Blanket? Anyway, beside the point... um... after she clipped him and his hair started growing back he came in gray with lots of spots on his rump and then this last month or so his spots seem like they are spreading he's got a couple on his neck and head. I'll try and get some decent pictures though to see if I can show you the differences but he's changed so much since he was born (he's a yearling now).

Katielou I would love to see photos. Its interesting to see what colors and markings they get. hes a stinker he likes to buck at his mom and when I scratch his butt he tried to do that too me. For 1 day old lol Now I am waiting on my buckskin/ pinto mare to have a foal from same sire.

These are the only two where you can sort of see his coloring half way decently and the difference of his spots after a clip. I'll have to check to see if she still has the pictures she found of him as a baby to see the huge difference in him but if I remember correctly he looked like a dark chestnut (not quite a liver chestnut) with a snowcap blanket over his hips like your boy. The pictures on his papers he looks a lot more like a red roan and is that funny 'pinkish' color. The first picture is after her first attempt at clipping him (hehehe! He's only half done.), but he's about 7 months old.

Orion-Feb2013_zps477cc435.jpg

The second picture is from two weeks ago and you'll have to forgive the quality it's a rough picture that I took with my phone and he's 'trying' to set up but my mother is holding him while I take the pictures and she's a little scared of him and he's wanting to chew on her. But you can see his coat is growing out light instead of coming in red again.

orion-april20131_zpsdf0ec09c.jpg

Either way, you have a beautiful colt and it sounds like he's really going to have a personality! It'll be interesting to see how he grows out, but I think it's hard to really look at baby apps and tell what they'll be. Sorta a Que Sera,Sera situation.

I copied your first photo, then just colored the hawk. It is facing towards the colt's tal. Head, shoulders, bacj.

Back