Fingernails -- Tips From You Ladies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Hi, Ladies --

Maybe some of you girls can help me out!!!

Until the past few months, I used to keep my nails pretty short. I never "thought" I could have long nails and do all the horse stuff I do. Well, I've been letting them grow, not tremendously long because that got on my nerves, but longer than I've ever kept them before.

I was hoping for some nail painting types of tips? In the past with the short ones, I just used clear polish. Now that they are longer, I'd like either colored, or some kind f way to use the shiny clear polish but keep the whites looking really white?

Not probably going to go get my nails done professionally, but if you all have any easy, at home tips, products or polish brand recommendations, I am all ears!

Thanks,

Jill

girl%20with%20butterfly.gif

Jill I love the french manicure. I went through some trial and error learning to do it myself (cause I'm not good with my left hand), but it is possible. Sounds like just what you described.

Donna,

What kind of stuff did you get to do it?

I've been practicing and at first, I couldn't even put colored polish on my right hand and have it look okay... Now it looks "almost" okay (much better than when I first started trying.

It's hard!!! Makes me feel like such a clutz (sp?).

Jill

They sell these cute little kits for french manicures I've seen them in Wallmart so I'm sure you could be able to get them practically anyplace. I got one and takes a bit of practice at first but eventually your hand gets steadier. If you're going to use colored polish, I usually slick on a coat of clear so that the color won't stain my nails. I also buff and oil every so often to get the dead stuff off and make them vibrant and healthy looking between polishes.

Also remember when you are filing before you apply any polish use a slice of fresh lime rub it across your nails. This will take out any yellowing in the nail. It works great for your toes too.

You can always learn to paint on a French manicure. OPI products are some of the best for anything you do. You'll want to prep the nail first so the polish will last as long as possible (filing, buffing, polish remover, bottom coat, polish, top coat). This is coming from someone who doesn't "do" fake nails, but my mom was a nail tech for over 20 years.
default_wink.png

Like Sterling said you can get the kits, but I kinda liked doing my own thing. You don't have to go with white with the clear; you can use something a little softer (like a very soft pink) until you get the hang of putting it on. I think it's a very professional and classy look. I found that when I did my own it was easier to go across the tip of the nail than it was to go from back to front of the tip. You might want to give that a try.

Jill,

My nails grow very quickly but at the same time, they aren't very strong. I was always breaking them working around the yard and with the horses.

I have recently treated myself to acrylic false nails, done as a french manicure and I LOVE them! They are so strong! I could never keep nice nails like this on my own. It's my little treat to myself every second week when I go and have the refills done.

For you, I would suggest a real pale pink polish. it would be easier to deal with at this point until you get the hang of painting your own nails, with a steady hand.

I LOVE my fake nails. I wish I had done it years ago.
default_yes.gif

You don't have to go with white with the clear; you can use something a little softer (like a very soft pink) until you get the hang of putting it on. I found that when I did my own it was easier to go across the tip of the nail than it was to go from back to front of the tip. You might want to give that a try.
My thoughts exactly.
default_yes.gif
I did end up buying a soft cameo pink to go along with the kit...and I only used the guides in the kit the first couple of times. Afterwards I ended up doing what Donna did...brushing across the nail tip instead of back to front.

I would go through spells of long nails, then bite them off suddenly then grow them long again. I would paint them when they were long and they would look great, but would start to chip within days...what a pain. I have very very thick strong nails and when I would use clippers on them, I'd have to use the toenail clippers because my nails are so thick....not anymore. I went to the beauty shop and got acrylic french tips (couple months ago)....they looked great but a couple broke within a couple weeks even after they told me that they are nearly impossible to break. They broke before my real nails when they are long. I replaced the broken ones with a kit that I got at Meijers (like walmart)...of course, those two looked like total crap. I called the beauty shop and got direction on how to remove the tips....my nails are a total mess now....thin, chip, they look gross even after 5 weeks of having them off. I will never ever get tips again...my nails were actually sore when I had them put on and even worse when I took them off....never again!

Although the french acrylic tips look beautiful, I'll never do it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
It always shocks me when people are shocked that acrylics destroyed their nails (at least temporarily). Fake nails are bonded to your nails by some harsh chemicals and obviously they aren't going to be little unbreakable spades sticking off the end of your fingers.
default_wink.png
Some unscrupulous shops will even use more extreme chemicals that are banned, and do you know how unsanitary some of those nail places are? (I'm not just talking about the dingy shop in the bad part of town here!) *blech* My mother was an OPI Master Technician and did some of the best nails I'd ever seen, but I never liked the look of fake "hooves." Anyway, so long as your matrix isn't damaged, you are healthy and eating healthy, too, your nails should grow out naturally in about six months. It's no surprise your nails look bad now, even after five weeks of having the acrylics off, because your damaged nail is still growing out.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jill,

You can also do a American Manicure, which is a type of gel polish and the white lines do not have to be perfect to look nice! I did nails for 10 years before I had kids and I have always liked the American over the French on natural nails!! You can get supplies at any beauty store!! Make sure when you buy a topcoat you get a non yellowing topcoat, otherwise the nails will turn yellow very fast!!! Have fun!!
default_biggrin.png

If you just want to go naked you might like to try this. This is an awesome product that has a neat 4 sided buffer, 1 side is a diamond buffer, 1 side is a cotton buffer and 2 sides are silk buffers. This buffer leaves your nails healthy and shinier than shiny. The kit comes with a cuticle cream that's really nice, the buffer, a file and an awesome body and hand cream and oooohhhh it smells soooo good. It also comes with a cute little bag to keep it all in.

Try it you'll like it.

http://www.onsensecret.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=52

"Sexy Summer Nail Kit"

Enjoy!

Oh and use the diamond buffer sparingly it removes ridges and discoloration by buffing away some nail so go easy with this side of the buffer.

Although I knew that the acrylics would damage my nail, I never knew it would be that bad.

Latest posts

Back