Finding a Farrier

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichmond

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m having trouble lining up a farrier to take care of our new boys.We won’t have them until October, but I’m trying to find one who is willing to come out our way. I know there are farms in the area, but I don’t know any other horse people. So far I’ve tried Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. I’m going to check bulletin boards at Tractor Supply and Rural King today. Any suggestions?13801809-CA3C-47BD-AEA7-13423C475E9C.jpeg285EA7C5-642F-43E9-AD34-70095C3820C1.jpeg

Sounds like you're doing the right thing in your search. Start asking Anyone and Everyone you know or meet who has horses who they recommend. We actually have TWO Farriers.....but it's taken a long time to find them and we've been through many who just didn't work out. Oh! Other place to ask is at a vet's..... the folks working there may own horses.

I don't know if you're interested at all but I started doing my own trimming after I lost my farrier and couldn't find anyone who did a good job, my horses were all foot sore and I was done trying new ones. It's really easy especially with the little ones and easy to learn. If you want to, let me know and I can tell you how I learned. Do you have a vet yet? Any large animal vet in the area should know of a good farrier.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I checked at the vet’s. One of the techs working tomorrow has horses, so I’m supposed to call her. I also got a lead from a woman at Tractor Supply on a farrier who actually lives pretty close to me. I messaged him through Facebook. He seems to do a lot of corrective shoeing, but he does minis, too, so he said to call him when we get the boys. He didn’t say yes, but he didn’t say no, either.
I’m not entirely opposed to doing in between filing, but these boys are so young. I did it when my full-size horses were barefoot to stay ahead of chips and the like, but I really don’t want to ruin their legs and feet. I’ll try the Barefoot Trimming sites, too. Have a great night, everyone and thanks again!

It sure doesn't hurt to locate more than one farrier. We have two. One is more for our full sized horses, but he also does corrective work on the minis if needed. Then, we have our Mini Farrier who just does basic trimming. We've known him for 20 years. We have over 40 horses so he comes every Tuesday and trims two. The husband knows how to trim, but at 68 years old, his back only lasts through ONE every other day or so. Me? I only rasp.

I had no idea that Barefoot Trimming was a thing. I read information on several sites and thought that it makes a lot of sense. My own horses were barefoot more often than not, except for a thoroughbred mare I had that had the thinnest imaginable soles and hoof walls. Makes me wonder if she would have had a chance at better feet if we were able to leave her barefoot. She wound up with shoes and pads per my farrier at the time.

Anyhow, I did find a trimmer who was listed on Equus Tribe who is close to me. She is willing to take the boys on with her other clients in this area. I looked at lots of the photos on her page and feel more comfortable with her work versus the guy who does all the corrective shoeing and Saddlebreds. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Now to nail down the hay! I have a few messages out, hoping for someone close who actually knows what their hay is. I received a response when I asked what kind it was that it was field hay. Not nearly as specific as I would have liked.

Field Hay probably equals what we call "pasture grass"...... It's a mix of different grasses and may even include a little alfalfa. That's what our big pasture is, where we turn out some of our herd.

Field Hay probably equals what we call "pasture grass"...... It's a mix of different grasses and may even include a little alfalfa. That's what our big pasture is, where we turn out some of our herd.
That’s what I was hoping, but he has other folks in line, so I’m on the list. I found another farmer closer to me who has a Timothy/orchard grass mix. It’s a little more, but 10 minutes away instead of an hour. Nobody wants to deliver just a ton of hay. I can only store about 40 bales and that’s after the barn gets here. I’ll have to pallet it and tarp it like crazy, because I’m afraid to wait until October to get hay. Am I too much of a worrywart?

My little ones eat an alfalfa/red clover/mixed grass hay. It's what comes off my field so it's what they get and they do great on it. I 'gave up' last winter and put round bales out for then during the day thinking I would have to start rolling them in and out but they didn't put much weight on at all 🤷‍♀️ 😊. I think no mold/dust is the most important thing and if you put yours on pallets and tarp you should be fine.

Barefoot trimming is awesome!! There can be bad trimmers like bad farriers but the farrier that comes for my boarders now agrees that it's the best way to trim. She says that farriers mostly learn how to shoe and make shoes not how to trim and have a lot of misinformation about what trimming should be. I think you and your boys will be very happy with a trimmer😊

Last edited:
We also have to tarp our hay. (We buy 2 ton at a time twice a month from a local grower.) My only suggestion about tarping is to also allow a bit of air flow or the tarp(s) will sweat and hold moisture which will cause mold. Pallets are good. They allow air to pass through under the bottom bales.

No. You're not a worry-wart. You are being PREPARED. Some folks are able to have 20+ ton delivered at a time and it lasts them through the winter! We are very fortunate that our local guy stores the hay undercover and allows us to pay as we pick up.

So, I scheduled a truck for Tuesday at 5:30 for hay. Yesterday I had just finished a conversation with my neighbor, Rich. All the dogs were with me. I turned to head up the hill to the house. Dogs were rough-housing as usual. I said come on kids, let’s go. In about 2 seconds, as I put my right foot forward, I got hit by a 70 lb dog going full speed, not sure if it was Quinn or Izzy. One was almost certainly chasing the other. I went down in a hurry, backwards and hit my head. The dogs mobbed me, “oh, look, Mom’s on the ground!” They aren’t aggressive, just exuberant. I screamed and called for Rich, who came and took the dogs to the house and got my partner, Kay. I just stayed on the ground, afraid to move.

It took me a few minutes, but I was able to get myself into the chair she brought. My right knee was pretty messed up, but my head seemed ok. I think my ponytail saved my head. Kay got my crutches(left over from the other knee being replaced) and after a little bit, I was able to hobble the 150 feet or so back to the house. Wow, heck of a way to end the week. I’m icing the knee, taking Alleve and using the crutches. I just hope it’s better by Tuesday, because I’m getting that hay come hell or high water. Maybe I should get the dogs to haul it, lol.

So, I scheduled a truck for Tuesday at 5:30 for hay. Yesterday I had just finished a conversation with my neighbor, Rich. All the dogs were with me. I turned to head up the hill to the house. Dogs were rough-housing as usual. I said come on kids, let’s go. In about 2 seconds, as I put my right foot forward, I got hit by a 70 lb dog going full speed, not sure if it was Quinn or Izzy. One was almost certainly chasing the other. I went down in a hurry, backwards and hit my head. The dogs mobbed me, “oh, look, Mom’s on the ground!” They aren’t aggressive, just exuberant. I screamed and called for Rich, who came and took the dogs to the house and got my partner, Kay. I just stayed on the ground, afraid to move.

It took me a few minutes, but I was able to get myself into the chair she brought. My right knee was pretty messed up, but my head seemed ok. I think my ponytail saved my head. Kay got my crutches(left over from the other knee being replaced) and after a little bit, I was able to hobble the 150 feet or so back to the house. Wow, heck of a way to end the week. I’m icing the knee, taking Alleve and using the crutches. I just hope it’s better by Tuesday, because I’m getting that hay come hell or high water. Maybe I should get the dogs to haul it, lol.
Oh no! That's terrible. I hope you don't have to unload and stack hay in that condition! It's not a fun chore to do anyway (well, in my opinion anyway!). Takes me a long time to do that when I'm well! (doesn't help I'm barely 5' tall and getting older! But I have friends and a great boyfriend!!). I hope you feel better soon. I know how getting run over by dogs feels. I just got ran over by my elderly mini the other day. Total shocker. Got it going out the gate and I think Snickers gave her chase and apparently I was the "path of least resistance!" She didn't go anywhere thank goodness.I am always leery of my dogs when loose because of the excitement factor and them not paying attention. Not fun getting your legs taken out from under you! Take it easy and let us know how you are doing.

Oh I hope you're feeling better soon! I agree, moving hay is not fun even when everything's in good shape. I used to put in 3,000 squares in a day, it was awful but there was no one else to do it. Since I moved here I've finally switched to all round bales. It's much easier to put in with the tractor but a pain to take them apart to feed, oh well, such is life. Good luck getting the hay in, let us know how you're doing?

Oh no! That's terrible. I hope you don't have to unload and stack hay in that condition! It's not a fun chore to do anyway (well, in my opinion anyway!). Takes me a long time to do that when I'm well! (doesn't help I'm barely 5' tall and getting older! But I have friends and a great boyfriend!!). I hope you feel better soon. I know how getting run over by dogs feels. I just got ran over by my elderly mini the other day. Total shocker. Got it going out the gate and I think Snickers gave her chase and apparently I was the "path of least resistance!" She didn't go anywhere thank goodness.I am always leery of my dogs when loose because of the excitement factor and them not paying attention. Not fun getting your legs taken out from under you! Take it easy and let us know how you are doing.
Hope you're OK. I've been taken out when i was the 'easier choice' and it HURTS. Yes, I try never to be on the ground around my dogs, all 6 pile on top licking my face and won't get off 😂

Oh my Gosh! Sure hope the weekend gives you time to do some healing! Is it possible to scout out one or two young fellows who can buck the hay for you? I've also been "taken out" by a dog AND some horses over the years....... Two of the three incidents had me at the ER.... Yay. Listen to your body and don't PUSH!

Latest posts

Back