Finally we're gelding one BUT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relic

Reaction score
How long does it take till he has no sperm left after gelding?? He's 3 and will be done on the 28th next week he'll go live with a 3 year old mare but we aren't sure how long before he can't get her in foal. We thought 2/3 weeks is that a safe guess or would it take longer...they have to pasture together and they want no accidents for next year. Vet is not available till Monday and we'd need to know before then. Never gelded know nothing but am willing to learn and can't believe the price is 185 to do the deed..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I don't remember how long to keep them separated, but $185? Ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Relic said:
he has no sperm he's 3 and will be done on the 28th next week he'll go live with a 3 year old mare but we aren't sure how long before he can't get her in foal. We thought 2/3 weeks is that a safe guess or would it take longer...they have to pasture together and they want no accidents for next year. Vet is not available till Monday and we'd need to know before then. Never gelded know nothing but am willing to learn and can't believe the price is 185 to do the deed..
429916[/snapback]

OOPS! Sorry for the double posts!

I just got a two yr. old gelded at U. C Davis. The instructions they sent home with him was to keep him away from mares for 3 weeks. I thought it would be longer. In my case since I only have only have one mare, his full sister, I will give it more time just to be safe.

Bye!

I was told one month to keep seperate from mares just to be safe.

I've only gelded two AQHA yearling colts, so far, so don't know if minis are any different. Post gelding was a great time for training; both mine got twice daily walks and their ground manners improved immensely.

I don't know if it's an old rancher's tale or if there is truth to it, but I was also told that it'll take about one month per year of age for the gelding to get rid of the "stallion behavior". So, if he is 3 years old, it'll take about 3 months for him to really settle into being a gelding.

I just had one gelded several months ago. My vet said 30 days.

Two to three weeks does sound a bit short. I'd always thought it was about a month to be safe. We gelded our very first stallion we purchased earlier this year but he still hasn't been introduced to any females because of our personal pasture situation. He does have another gelding buddy, however.

MA

Latest posts

Back