Finally, seeing some signs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I have not really been on mare stare because I don't have a due date but am checking my little maiden daily.

I finally see some definate changes in her....... Now if only I knew what they mean!

I hope she foals sometime in the next few weeks, a July foal would be nice! I will go tell her!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

These are the signs:

Any feedback will help even to tell me it means nothing!!

* Her milk veins along the side of her tummy from just behind her front legs are now very prominant.

* She does not have a bag BUT she has a big lump in front of her bag, this is new, and it is getting increasingly warm.

* She now seems completely contented being away from her friends, before she would get aggitated if she could not see them.

* She looks uncomfortable and looks at her stomach a lot!

* She has a definate crease along her back from her withers, this is new!

* She wants to be fed earlier than normal and waits at the feed door all day!!

* She has no resistance when you lift her tail

* But she has not fallen away in the rump yet

I hope this means something, I wish she would just show some consideration and just tell me!!

I think I have a little while yet!!

What do you think??

That is what it is called an edema, Thanks!

Hi barnbum!

I haven't tried expressing milk, she is so little I think I would have to be on my knees to do that! Maybe I will try tomorrow!!

I really don't think she si super close but I think it could be a few weeks!

Thanks for the reply!
smile.gif

Ah Fiona, good sign all but hard to say just when she'll have this bundle. I'll bet when you do your breeding you keep impeccable records so you'll know when they are due next year.
yes.gif

I never thing of myself as doing things in an impeccable manner!!
laugh.gif
But Thanks for that! And yes, I would keep good records, it is frustrating and worrying becasue with these young girls there is so much that could go wrong!! I am NOT a worrier in general BUT I do worry about my little mares!

But I cannot sleep in the barn, even though I wouldn't mind! As it is my husband says "You are going out to the horses again!!!, I thought you did that already!" He does not understand NOR does he want to!

Oh well, he doesn't know what he is missing
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

He is a city slicker!!, well sort of!

Sometimes those maiden mares just don't give a lot of the usual sins of foaling like an experienced mare. We just had a maiden foal last Sunday and though I knew she was getting close she never had a drop of liquid from her bag before she foaled, although the colustrum came in real fast after she foaled and she now looks like a milk cow,,,well she has tons of milk and a huge bag for a mini. Our mare never showed signs of dropping before she foaled either. She sure done a beautiful job of having her foal though. Had been watching her on the cam and she was just munching away at her hay...came down to the computer and about 20 minutes later hubby said "I think she is starting to foal" We went to the barn and there were little feet already showing and in just a few minutes we had a beautiful buckskin dun colt. So those maidens can fool us and they can have their foals really easy too. Good luck, I am sure you are getting anxious to see what you have. Mary

capall beag said:
I have not really been on mare stare because I don't have a due date but am checking my little maiden daily.I finally see some definate changes in her....... Now if only I knew what they mean!

I hope she foals sometime in the next few weeks, a July foal would be nice! I will go tell her!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

These are the signs:

Any feedback will help even to tell me it means nothing!!

* Her milk veins along the side of her tummy from just behind her front legs are now very prominant.

* She does not have a bag BUT she has a big lump in front of her bag, this is new, and it is getting increasingly warm.

* She now seems completely contented being away from her friends, before she would get aggitated if she could not see them.

* She looks uncomfortable and looks at her stomach a lot!

* She has a definate crease along her back from her withers, this is new!

* She wants to be fed earlier than normal and waits at the feed door all day!!

* She has no resistance when you lift her tail

* But she has not fallen away in the rump yet

I hope this means something, I wish she would just show some consideration and just tell me!!

I think I have a little while yet!!

What do you think??

424641[/snapback]

Oh Mary, Thanks for that I needed to hear that!

I made me go, ah and take a nice deep breath!

I am going to just calmly wait and see!

Let nature take over and pray I will witness it and be able to help if the need arises!!

fingers crossed!!

Thanks, you guys are very kind and sweet with your helpful replies
smile.gif
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back