Finally my first foal!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
Of coarse she decided to foal while I was away, and I knew she would. She was all waxed up and had milk. My sister was very happy everything went good as she was freaked about the idea of possibly haveing to help. She is alot bigger then I expected, that is why I am calling her Moose.

She will be all of moms height about about 37". So far she is black with a star. But I do have a question. She does have the gray rims on her eyes, there is no way she can grey, could this be a possibale appy sign or varnish like her mother?

Anyway here is a her pic. Its not the best as I took it with my phone, but its all I could do for now.

cookiefoal.jpg
default_wub.png

She is very curious and loves to be scratched already. MOm is just thrilled to have her, she is 18 this year and its been about 7-8 years since she has had a foal.

Congrats! And boy she does look like a BIG girl!!!
default_yes.gif

But I do have a question. She does have the gray rims on her eyes, there is no way she can grey, could this be a possibale appy sign or varnish like her mother?
Yep, I'd put money down that the "grey" eye rings are the varnish gene playing in
default_yes.gif
The varnish gene causes a lot of 'roaning' and will make the black base look a blueish grayish color.. Our stud is a black based varnish and he looks blue roan
default_wub.png
and his son born last year is also a black based varnish, he too had the rings around his eyes when he was born, and he's getting the same blueish tint to his coat like his sire

I was really hopeing for some spots, but guess dad isnt passing them on. Oh well I have a healthy foal thats all that matters. I would guess her to be about 24" and about 15-20 pounds. MOm is always HUGE no matter if she is or isnt in foal.

Congratulations Ashley! Yes, varnish appys can be born with those big grey circles around their eye.
default_yes.gif
You never know, she just may spot out too!

default_new_shocked.gif
OMG I can't believe your mare had her all by herself! Moose is the perfect name for her. Congratulations-she's out and healthy
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations Ashley! Yes, varnish appys can be born with those big grey circles around their eye.
default_yes.gif
You never know, she just may spot out too!
Ditto to what Mona said, It's so exciting to clip appys you never know whats under all that hair!

default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations, Ashley!!!

I've seen rings on other appy foals. I don't know much about appy genes, but I always figured it was related to them being appy.

Congratulations on a safe foaling and a filly to top it off with! I am guessing that the filly will probably be similar to her dam, a varnish. She will progress roaning more than likely though out her llife. And you very well could find some spots too. Some times they don't even start to varnish much until they are yearling or a little later, so don't panic. Often new appy breeders quit doing appys as they don't have the patience to wait and see what they get. The old joke is, why don't appy breeders comit suicide? Because they want to see what color their horse is next year. (sorry if that offended any one) I really think some times us fellow appy breeders have to have a little stubborness in us to keep at it! Anyway happy you got a nice healthy filly! Lavonne

Congrats on your new "Moose"
default_biggrin.png
Very fitting name
default_yes.gif
Joyce

Latest posts

Back