Finally got one... Saltwater fish tank early birthday present

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
I have always wanted Saltwater fish

Hubby decided he would get me one.. and we found one set up and with fish.

3 nemos, 1 dwarf angle and wrasse cleaner bluestreak

I am enjoying it so much listening to the water and very entertaining.

I know when I seen Jills, I hoped someday to have one.

only a 30 gal but thats big enough for me..

few pictures for you's to see..

fish saltwater tank d.jpg

fish saltwater tank a.jpg

fish saltwater tank b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!

I've entertained getting a tank (freshwater) again, but after finding out how finicky Bettas were, and mine dying after a month last year, I decided against it.

Beautiful!!! I grew up at the beach and we always had salt water tanks. We were very lucky as we could just cross the road and get salt water from the ocean! Yours is beautiful! Enjoy!

That is awesome and WTG getting one already set up and going! That's exactly what gets most would be fishkeepers OUT of fishkeeping early on. It takes time to cycle a tank (unless you already have one set up and can then use seed media from it). I haven't tried saltwater (yet?), but love our tropical ad cichlid tanks. It's one of the most relaxing and ejoyable hobbies out there!!! Enjoy!!!

Coolio! I love salt water fish (though I don't have any) I think it would be cool though. lol I call clown fish "Nemos" too ;)

Very cool.

I have a saltwater tank too, I was in the process of doing a larger one and decided against it.

I like all my fish, but I love my Orange Spot Goby. He's really cool to watch and helps clean the tank. I also like my Yellow Blotch Rabbitfish, he is real personable.

One thing I learned was the salt you mix with water yourself didn't work for me no matter what tactics I tried. Now, I only buy the pre mixed salt water. Invest in a good testing kit too and check your hydrometer often -- I bought a few that didn't work and wouldn't have known had I not checked tap water / bottled water.

Have fun and enjoy!

thank you all, O Jill thought yours was salt water but I know I loved looking at your fish..

Now I am so darn surprised today they told me I had 6 fish but could only find 5 when I got home so was not worried

Now this morning cannot believe my eyes this guy was hiding, heaven knows where..

Do you know what he is?? anyone I checked the web sites and thought maybe Leapard wrasse

and yes have the pre mix saltwater so much easier.. and the pet store near by tests water for free..

but do have some testing things..

Just read up on him or her and they bury themselves in the gravel to sleep and if frightened..

Leapard wrasse 6.jpg

I am rather new to owning a saltwater tank, My S/O has all of the experience. My opinion, it looks like a Leopard Wrasse and you are correct they are very good at hiding.

I just added an Undulated Huma Huma / Trigger to my tank today, so far he/she is doing well!

I feed mine a mix of Spectrum dry food along with frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, seaweed and mysis shrimp. I also offer a seaweed clip with purple and/or green seaweed.

My biggest and worthy purchase was live rock because I started my tank from the start, best investment. Also, my Turbo Snails. I started with one because they can over take a tank so easily. The Chocolate Chip Starfish had a nice meal, so I bought another.

Damsels were my test dummies, I started with 6 and now have three.

I have also owned a few species of Clowns before.

You will enjoy it for sure!

Beautiful...I had a salt water tank for a few years about 20 years ago. I always wanted ...you guessed it sea horses...they were fascinating and hard to stop watching , but very sensitive in the few years I lost 4 or 5 of them and couldn't see killing more. But they are just so cool . I also had an orange and white shrimp with tiny pinchers always trying to grab the sea horses tails. When they get mad (the sea horses) they turn red lie a camillion. (sp?). and some kind of live flower looking thing in a piece of wood that was really alive fish of some kind as you can tell I forget what it was called . But the sea horses were my favorite I always wanted one to name it Sea Biscuit. Salt water tanks are a lot of work but a lot of joy

very pretty tank!! i got back in to saltwater a few months ago with a 14 gallon biocube. it's doing wonderfully but i decided i wanted to go a little bigger so i have a 29g cube set up. there was a part missing for the light assembly so i'm waiting for that before i get it going.

i have a few inverts...

clamampurchin_zps9fd99344.jpg

and a couple of snowflake clowns...

clowns2.jpg

just picked up this royal gramma yesterday...

royalgramma_zps26a4091d.jpg

that's all i'll be able to put in this tank. the lighting isn't good enough for corals so that's why i got the 29g with metal halide lighting. can't wait to get it started!

Lovely Charlene....

If others would like to post pictures of their salt water or fresh fish please do..

Would love to see them...

This will be my hobby when I can't do horses anymore LOL. Not ready to add anything else that needs taking care of, but I love watching them.

Jan

added this little fire goby this weekend. he maxes out my stock for this little tank. i have my 29g biocube cycling now.
default_smile.png

flamegoby_zps9f1676e0.jpg

Oh the beauty!!! I love salt water tanks- never did get one and got rid of the fresh water ones... just too much to do and when I had surgery had no one to take care of it.... just decided to get rid of an extra responsibility. LOVE the pics- the colors are just magnificant!

I plan to take more pictures of our tanks this weekend. When we first started, it was plastic ornaments, blue gravel, fake plants... now all our tanks have live plants, drift wood, and neutral colored gravel. I think we've been keeping fish for 3-4 years now, and we haven't done saltwater yet, but have some very colorful fish in the tanks we keep.

If any of you want to try the hobby, it can be a lot of fun and so relaxing. The key though is to "cycle the tank". You need to have beneficial bacteria in the filter to nuetralize the fish waste, and that either takes time to build up (you can read how to cycle a tank w/ an internet search) or to expect to lose fish in the beginning. Ones the tank is cycled, you can use filter media from an established tank to jump start new tanks. A lot of people think it's just about treating water for chemicals, but it's not... and the water actually isn't even where the beneficial bacterial lives (filter media is where it happens).

We got back into the hobby when we needed a distraction, but it was so much fun, we stuck with it. Right now, I am most excited about 10 growing yellow lab cichlids that were born / hatched here and some German Blue Rams we are raising (they came here in the mail smaller than dimes -- not in the same tank as the yellow labs). Lots of fun and those rural folk who have well water -- you're already probably ahead of the game!!!

I love all aspects of the hobby and my favorite parts are the water changes, watching the fish, and feeding the fish! Which is, I guess, 99% of what happens when you keep fish.

Latest posts

Back