Finally got my yearling...now steps in training?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Im really excited I just got my first miniature horse and she is a yearling. Ive had horses for 12 years and I have a pony now that I raised from age 5 to 17, Ive done natural horsemanship with all of my horses, but none this young lol...but I have zip experience with yearlings. I want to make sure I cover all the bases correctly for her sake.

Her experience so far consists of...

haltering, leading and tying...these were all just started late this winter with her previous owner. This is her first day here and she leads nicely and has not offered to bite or kick me in the stall, she does rear at her neighbor she can see through the little window we made for her though lol. I've been asking her to back up when I feed her and shes done well so far...she definitely needs respect work when it comes to space though.

What are the first basic things mini's need to know for a solid foundation and what lengths of times do I work on them with her, in order would be a great help!

Also tips on proper repremands would be a great help!

Any other tips and advice certainly welcome! links to youtube might be helpful too? Thanks all.

Work with her on the hula hoop exercise. Make a big circle around you like a hula hoop and make her back away from you out of the circle and be sure that she gives you 2 eyes. If she tries to turn away yank on the lead to give you 2 eyes. If she tries to step back in the circle back her up.

My training program is based on Clinton Anderson's Downunder Horsemanship and the Fundamentals is what I would work with on your yearling.

I think it is a good idea to get them used to being handled all over. Legs, ears, muzzle. Rub gums with your fingers so she is used to her mouth being handled. Do some litle stretches with her legs then place her feet. O my goodness, babies are fun but lots of trouble. Good thing they are so cute!

I got mine at ten months a year ago. I've taught her the basics Clinton Anderson method also. She did develop bad habits of nipping, rearing up on people etc which was A disrespect and B the lack of a playmate her size and she still has her moments in the pasture when someone comes in without a rope etc in hand but she knows it's time to behave when I come around and when we train. I lunge her, she changes directions on the lunge line or mini round pen, backs up, whoa's, yields hindquarters, follows me etc like a champ. I also do the sending exercise with her and what amazed me is that what someone told me recently must be true "Big horses you have to teach, minis learn by watching". She always stands at the fence watching me lunge and ride my gelding in the arena. Now all of the sudden and without teaching her she walks, trots and canters on the lunge line with the verbal commands I use for my gelding LOL

The best advice I have gotten when I fry got her was "treat her like a horse" - i would add - its easy to spoil them and hard to get rid of bad habits.

Thanks everyone! Great input!

She is only 10 months too so thats good to hear! Cupcake, What age did you start working on that with her? Im so afraid to ask it of her too soon, too young.

Also she did try to nip and it was automatic from the all the years ive had full size horses to slap her muzzle...After that it took her a few minutes to let me approach, I felt bad and am wondering if there is alternative to muzzle swatting when they nip? And hopefully I can try and make the new technique 2nd nature over the muzzle slap.

Hard to make new habbits after dealing with the big guys half your life lol...last thing id want though is a head shy mini!

And then, her new thing is rearing up in protest when she doesnt want to do something, I gave a quick yank on the rope and firmly said NO...she didnt offer to do it again after that but im sure its not the last time lol...whats the best way to handle this?

So far so good though. Shes really cute and quite sweet! I cant wait til we get to know each other better.

Thanks everyone!

Dressage whip. When she comes up to me with that goofy look on her face and I know she's in her game mode I wait until she attempts to rear and give her a quick whack across the chest. The first time she looked at me in disbelief and stepped back a couple of steps. If I don't have a whip I turn around and kick towards her with a loud verbal sound, just like another horse would do. Make it brief and then go on like nothing happend. No hitting the muzzle, face bit do let her know what's acceptable and what's not. I always try to picture my big horse who's 16.2 doing it and that helps me be firm with her. Make her back up, yield, Clinton Anderson has a foal/yearling DVD out that shows you how and also that it's never too early to start teaching them. Anytime you're with her you're training her, the good and the bad. Just like kids and dogs, they quickly learn with who and what they can get away with! My horses don't respect my son and husband because all they know is that they feed carrots and I can't get the boys to go out there and teach them respect for them, but I will have to because it's like having one parent who's got a clear discipline going with praise and consequence and the other just letting them do what they want, makes it harder for me.

Thanks, it will be an interesting and rewarding experience!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back