Final update on filly with broken leg

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdegner

Reaction score
Back in mid-june our 8 week old filly came in from the pasture with a broken leg. After 4 weeks in a cast, 1 week in a splint and 4 weeks of gradually building up her strength and leg, she has healed up very well. I have pics up on my facebook, link below. When the cast came off, the tendon was very weak, so it took some time for her to build that back up. As expected, her hoof has a thin wall and the frog was quite close to the front but with weekly trimming and maintenance, it now looks normal. Since she was so young, she adapted quickly to 3 legs and it took her a little while to readapt to having 4. We gradually increased the amount of area she could move around in and for the last 2 weeks, she has been in a big pasture with her mother. She is so happy to move around and other than a bump on her front leg, you would never know she broke the leg. A word about her mother who deserves horse of the year. Charlotte was a maiden mare and she redefined what it means to be a mother. She had to be confined the whole time Cher was--and she likes to be out in a pasture, not in a barn or confined area--and she was so patient and wonderful.

Thanks again to all who shared their experiences and advice. We are so very grateful! Best, Mary

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.259327204087262.70987.100000299539018&l=9685e00627&type=1

What wonderful news. Amazing what Mom's can do for their babies.

It's wonderful to hear that Cher has made a fully recovery and kisses to Charlotte......Mother of the Year.
default_wub.png

Wonderful news! It's great to see those pics of her running.

Wonderful news! Thanks so much for the update and pictures. The things we can learn on here.

The things we can learn on here, AMEN. I started out this experience thinking broken leg in a horse was a death sentence. Not so...... My goal is she goes in the show ring next year. She actually had some nice confirmation.... And, of course all that special attention has turned her into a total pocket pony.

Thanks for sharing your good news!! She is such a pretty little thing, I'd love to hear that she cleaned up in the show ring next year. That would be icing on your cake
default_biggrin.png

Brilliant news!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you so much for the update and the pictures - she's a very nice looking filly.

Good luck with the showing.
default_yes.gif

Great news! Very pretty filly, too!

Thanks everybody! She will still have to get through one of our tough MN winters but we will see what she looks like next spring. Her dams sire is a national halter, performance and get of sire champion (Lilliput Acres Show Me the Bucks) and her sire is our Tibbs stallion who has done a lot of winning in AMHR and AMHA (after we hardshipped him in last spring) including, most recently, Reserve Grand Ammie and AOTE senior stallion at AMHA Centrals. She has the bloodlines and she has that "look at me" attitude so....time will tell......

Just so happy she made it! She and two sisters will get weaned next weekend....oh goodie....

*HAPPY TEARS* I'm SO happy that she's come through this so well because of your love, care & devotion! Big hugs to BOTH her moms! And for her too!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful update!!
default_biggrin.png
She looks great!
default_aktion033.gif
You did a good job with her. Give momma a hug, too.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back