Final Court Ruling; it's official

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
The DA gave us many examples of how bad our justice system is and that is why if a plea bargin hit the table, he said it might be the way for us to go. He brought us a whole briefcase of cases that went on in this county for the past 5 years and went over them with us. One example was a young marine on his way back to his unit in Kentucky was traveling along the highway here when a car load of drunks hit and ran him dead on and kept on going. By the time the people were located they already were sober enough and passed the drunk test. And that is even with them admitting they were all very drunk. The jury ruled it was not intended and the driver got off with 6 months in jail and 4 years probation. Another example was that a man was speeding and driving wrecklessly (not drunk at all) and veered off into the opposite lane and hit a mother and her three children head on decapatating the mother's head and killing all but one child. The man through himself on the mercy of the court and did no time at all and just got probation. The list went on and on. There were many more horror stories that we were told by the DA at our last meeting where justice was a joke and they could not warn us enough that you never know what the jury is going to be feeling and what they will do. With that in mind, we waited for the phone to ring. Sure enough, a plea was proposed to us on Saturday morning.

We are furious that they dropped the murder 2 charge because they said only half of it applies and would be thrown out; they should have told us a year ago. He never got charged with DUI because as you remember, he hit and ran and fled so they didn't catch him in time to test.

The defending attorney offered us a plea of 5 1/2 years. Now, considering all that the killer could get is 6 years in the first place, this began to look good and the final decision was left up to Jerry, Dan, and myself. We had all weekend long to decide and it wasn't easy. None of us wanted to go to trial and be put through re-living all the gruesome details surrounding Michaels two hour struggle for life. It's bad enough that we have to pass by that place every day of our lives and live on the same road. However a huge part of each of us wanted to face that animal and let the chips fall where they may with our anger in court towards him. But we knew this would only be hurting us even more; not him. He doesn't care what he did and to this day shows no remorse. He's a zombie. He doesn't feel anything.

We chose not to go to trial. The brunt would have been on Jerry who would have had to tell about holding Michael in his arms and details of what he had to go through trying to save Michael in the ditch. He said he would rather die that have to be forced to tell about that. There were going to be pictures and graphics. They were going to ask each of us very explicit details and try to trip us up on purpose and upset us on purpose. It didn't matter that we had key witnesses; they were going to try and discredit them. It didn't matter anymore about all the proof we had and investigations that Michael wasn't even on the road. What we thought was justice went out the window. The guilty has been protected by our justice system. The whole thing would have been terribly dirty and vile. Dan and I could not maintain any kind of composure for the DA. Our tempers and emotional state would not allow it and that would have gotten the case thrown right out on mistrial. A part of us wanted to fight so hard but the other part of us was drained. We were scared he would get away so we said we would take the plea. 5 1/2 years in exchange for Michael's life. Not a fair trade off but all we had left.

The upside is that when parole time comes up, we will be notified immeidately and be able to confront the parole board at that time and let it rip. We will then be allowed to talk to them about Michael, show his pictures, and then discuss what it would be like to turn that serial killer loose again in our community to kill for a third time. We can use almost any means we have to convince them he is dangerous so that the parole board will hear us and hopefully deny any chance of parole.

There are also other charges pending for this animal also; a few felonies, breaking and entering, sales and manufacturing meth, car theft, possession of illegal arms and aussalt and battery and I don't know what else, but all these charges will add up and he will be in the pokey for a good long time we hope. We are counting on some attrocities to happen in prison since we have been told that prisoners frown greatly on child killers. There are kids on this board so I won't say it, but you know what I mean. Since this animal has already escaped from jail twice, they will shoot him if he attempts that one again. And if he ever does make it out of there, there are many people who he wronged that are waiting for him out here anyhow. I can't worry about this piece of garbage any longer. I'm done. We are all done.

The ironic part of all this is that despite our hatered for this animal, Michael would not approve of how Dan and I feel about him. If he had lived, Michael would have cussed him out for what he did, then extend his hand to shake, and make a friend out of him. That's the kind of kid Michael was. The world sure lost a good hearted kid.

As for a personal update for us; Dan is working in the family business and will be taking a couple of night classes in the local college for mechanics. Hallelujah! He actually shows up for work every day on time and this is a huge step in healing for him. He loves his job. He has taken on many of Michael's traits; cracking jokes, pulling a few silly stunts, dressing slightly better thank heavens and is beginning to use good judgement for the important stuff and is still quite the dancer. He's growing up and trying to lighten up. Remember his 97 Dodge Neon that he totaled out when he tried to avoid hitting that dog with the puppies? That car was his pride and joy. It had a brand new engine and transmisson in it that we bought for it. It was crushed beyond belief and has been laying behind our garage. He's been driving a piece of old crap junk truck that limps around ever since. Well, we found him that exact same car and got it for his 19th birthday this week, March 1. He deserves it. It's in the shop getting tweaked just the way he had his other one and we had his new engine/tranny from the old neon transferred over to it. His step brother has it all primered and ready for new paint. Dan's going to light up like a lightbulb. Dan can just add his boom boom in the trunk and be good to go. Did I mention we'll do anything for that kid?

Jerry is still going hot and heavy with the Church and all their activities and is helping out there with the youth. It's like another full time job for him and being there makes his life bearable and he finds comfort there. He won't stay retired so he still works in ceramic tile and spends his evenings trying to get Amy off of him.

Me? I still have never made my peace with God; that part of me remains in turmoil. I don't know what that outcome will ever be but I am tired of being so hateful. I just want to be me again, the person who wrote stupid poems and did dumb stuff and just had fun. I'm expected back to work now at our store full time (again) and I have a couple of little books that I've had on hold for a very long time that I will probably now take to the publisher. I still have much work to do in my community; continue to attend county commission meetings like a thorn in thier side and try to make things better, and also with MADD that keeps my plate very full. I have the horses to tend to and lets not forget the neverending saga of raising of Amy who keeps me on my toes, and won't stop growing.

There will never be closure for us but just maybe we can all begin to have a life again somehow, even with this hole in our hearts. Remembering what Michael used to ask "Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?"

Much love and thank you as always for your support.

Forever and always, my Valentine

101_0700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dearest Marty and family ..I haven't been on a lot lately till this weekend. May Carl and I just say how very proud we are to know you and how we draw from your strength every day?

This was a very long winding road for you and I know Marty it will never reach an end for you, but do try now to find some peace in your life and with Michael on your shoulder enjoy life the way he would want you to.

Maybe you will never connect with God again as you said..perhaps it will be a higher power of some other sort that gets you through, perhaps your personal Archangel
default_yes.gif
AND maybe that's all you'll need.

I had posted about us having to get out of horses now and move on but the post disappeared so I will tell you about it another time. For now remember Carl and I are here if you ever need a break and would like to sit by the lake up in the North woods here for a visit
default_biggrin.png

Sincerely, Carl and Maxine

Wow, Marty. I'm so sorry that's all the creep is getting. But I'm glad you don't have to relive all the details in front of a room full of strangers.

You will never find closure to this, but I think you're on your way to healing. Wishing you, Jerry, and Dan, the very best.
default_wub.png

Oh Marty.... I know that you all chose the best way to go-- this way you KNOW that killer will have jail time. It must be unbelievably difficult to deal with though. {{{hugs}}} to you and Jerry and Dan, to sweet Michael up in heaven.

Marty i think you and your famiy did what was best for you all
default_wub.png
. I am sooo sorry to hear that is all he is getting
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
. {{hugs}}

You know i love you marty
default_wub.png
. But you sure know how to bring me to tears
default_sad.png

Take care of yourself and your family, im wishing you the best!

Marty, I don't know what to say except thankfully that looming black cloud has fianlly passed. Maybe now, your lives can take on some normalcy. My prayers and thoughts are still with you my friend. I wish your family the best. For what it's worth, I feel you made the right choice in accepting the plea. I wouldn't want you to have to go through all that in front of strangers.

ooops it sent before I was done, its below..

Last edited by a moderator:
marty, i have thought about you and michael and the rest of your family all weekend. bless your heart, you have been through more than any one family should have to endure.
default_sad.png

Such a long road you and Jerry and Dan have been walking, with Michael watching your every step. I am glad if this were to be your only choice that you chose to not go to trial. There have been to many memeories that need to be put to rest, and now allow all of the good ones to come back out.

Your family has become a huge part of everyone on this forum....and I know is thought about by many everyday.

Take care my friend...and know I am only a phone call away....oh yea...remember to sign me one of those new books you get published...so I can say I knew you when....Love you Marty.....Angie and the critters from Gracelands Farm!

Marty,

I know it was hard but I think you did the right thing with this sleezebag! There was NO reason to put you all thru recapping the whole thing again... He will get his and hopefully he will get more when he comes up for parole, you can have your say!

You just have to do whatever in your power to move forward and be a happy, healthy(mentally) lady.

You said Michael wouldnt want to see you all unforgiving. He wants you to go on with life and he will be right there keeping watch on you all. The bad thing is when you are unforgiving it is YOU that is hurt... This sleeze doesnt care either way which is such a shame...

Keep your heads up and come here on the forum if you need some pick me ups!!
default_biggrin.png

Marty,

I am sitting here crying and I just can't find the words to say. Nothing can make it better and my heart aches for your loss. So I am just going to pray that God can find a way to heal your broken heart and give you peace to know that you will see your Michael again someday.

Marty, I am sitting at work trying not to cry and being very unsuccessful. My heart hurts so bad for you and your family. You will never be the old you again, but become a new version of you. I know I for one do miss your beautiful funny poems, and hope for your sake you can make some peace with God. You will not be able to be happy with yourself until you do.

Marty, I wish I had something to add to the above eloquently spoken wishes for your healing, but they have said it so well. You are an inspiration and Michael's memory lives on through you and your family. What a wonderful kid we missed getting to know on this earth, but hope to meet someday in heaven, and tell him how highly I think of your family.

Marty, I am so sorry that this is they way it turned out. As you say, hopefully that madman will spend a good long time in the pokey with his MANY transgressions. And just to give you a little chuckle, I hope, there is a reason they call it the "pokey" you know.
default_wink.png
I will leave it at that.

You know how I feel about you my friend, and I hope this will at least mark a time when you can leave the holding pattern and move forward with the pieces you have left. You still have so much to offer the world. I am sending you big hugs. (((((MARTY, DAN and JERRY)))))

I am so sorry to read that you were expected to be put through living heck again and again on top of what you went through...it just doesn't seem right, and I hope that person who took his life at least realizes some small part of what was taken, and makes some good out of his life. If he does, I suppose some victory can be thought of.

I am pessimistic about it, and wish there were a way he could be put up for the rest of his capable years, and feel sick over thinking about all that you've been through.

You know in your heart the love that Michael had, and if nothing else, have faith in that, for it came in part from you.

Thank you for the update...I hope all that you do works to your advantage and that you can close some of the painful doors you've had to hold open.

I wish there were more comfort, but the sad fact is even an eye for an eye doesn't fix it.

My thoughts remain with you and your family.

Liz

Sitting here in tears as well. Continued prayers for your family.

Kim

Marty,

I am in tears for you and your family - you have been through so much more then any parent should ever have to endure.

I feel that you have made the right choice, - going to trial would have been so very difficult for your whole family. I do think Michael was there with you guiding your decision.

Have faith my friend and just remember "Those Who Live In The Lord, Never See Each Other For The Last Time" - someday you will be reunited with Michael!

Lots of HUGS and PRAYERS for you, Jerry and Dan!

With love,

Donna

Dear Marty

I think you all made the right decision for yourselves in all of this and that in time you can continue to move forward. Chances are good if you had not gone in this direction the skumbag would have gotten even less time. ((( Hugs to all of you))))

Nita

Latest posts

Back