Filly with a thick neck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
My 8 week old filly is getting a thick neck, it looks cresty. She nurses of course but eats a lot too. Will it go away or am I looking at a problem ?

I had a filly who had a very thick neck to the point it was almost cresty. But it really didn't get real bad til like 3 months of age and once she was weaned it came down quite a bit and she had a nice neck. So I just blame it on baby fat.

A picture could maybe help, but I've had what i call a milk crest on some of our foals. None of them have thick necks now, but they can go through that stage as foals if the milk's real good
default_yes.gif
If her parents have nice necks, then I would suspect you're just seeing a milk crest on her
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Her parents have really nice necks. I don' think it's a health concern, just wondering what people think.

My colt is quite a chunk. Like you I was getting worried so I decided to have the vet out to take a look. I should have just not worried because I paid the vet $118 to basically tell me he's just a fat baby, I guess mama's milk is very good haha.

Latest posts

Back