Filly with a chronic snotty nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
Sparkles is a yearling filly. He top jaw appears to have fused sooner than her bottom making her bite off. That is fine as she is super friendly and great for community service stuff. However she started having snotty noses in the fall. The first two were treated with SMZ-TMP. The vet discouraged the continuous use of antibiotics. Everytime the weather has changed this winter the snotty nose has returned. No other symptoms, fever or lethargy. She now tips her nose up to have it cleaned with a warm wet washcloth as do her pasturemates even though none of them has had a snotty nose at all. Help! Can I give her Claritin or something like that? How about Anihist?

Ruth

Gary-

Jeffers carries an anihistamine for horses, actually more than one. Maybe it's allergies.

It's always something.

Barbie

I have used benadryl on a horse that had allergies and it worked great

Another thing to think over is that some horses with an off bite will inhale feed up into their sinuses which causes chronic infections. I know some that have had luck with flushing out the sinuses but for some it didnt work either.

sending good thoughts

Some of the mail order catalogs carry a line of products called Wendals herbsand they have a wide range of products for different problems..Maybe something like that might work and not have the side effects of antibiotics.Almost all modern medicine had beginnings from herbal sources.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back